General discussion

windows2000

By moodye ·
i've just upgraded one of my departments computers from 98 to 2000 and now that im finished i can't delete anything on the desk top. it tells me that the path is not found.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

windows2000

by guidos In reply to windows2000

First question - are you logged in to the PC as Administrator (or its equivalent)?

Collapse -

windows2000

by moodye In reply to windows2000

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

windows2000

by Philando In reply to windows2000

You really should have answered the question about who is logged on. You're asking for help, so you should give the necessary info.

Anyway, you went from a platform that everyone have access to the machine and everyone shared the same preferences. So the desktop in 98 was shared by all. On 2000 since it based on NT uses profiles. A profile is created by combining the settings in the ALL USERS profile with those in the DEFAULT profile. My guesss is that the icons are now in the desktop folderof the ALL USERS profile (which is where you should delete it).
I have noticed that if you upgrade to 2000 the profiles are stored in c:\winnt\profiles. If you did a clean install (always recommended) they are stored in c:\documents and settings.
FYI: If you cannot see the default profile you have enable "showing hidden and system files" in windows folder options.
Hopefully I've been of some help.

Collapse -

windows2000

Thank you very much you were a great help

Collapse -

windows2000

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)