by spectre ·

Advantages and disadvantages of Windows 2000

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Windows2000

by csheltcomp ·

In reply to Windows2000

Plug and Play…DVD Support over NT…USB support over NT..Stability…Excellent hardware support(better than win98, etc…)I am running now for 6 mo’s and have had no crashes yet…This OS also has an extremely clever recovery console in case of crash. It also has many disk imaging options for larger networks..It is definitely a plus for the workplace.

Windows2000

by spectre ·

In reply to Windows2000

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Windows2000

by wired_777 ·

In reply to Windows2000

The first response summed it up best with NT stability and plug-play O/S.I have been running 2000 for about 2 months now. The only problems I have had are related to drivers.
      The disadvantages include many vendors do not have drivers available, like NT4.0, not all hardware is supported. Check the Hardware Compatiblilty List at the MS website.
      One of the best features is a file protection system that will automatically replace system files!!! You can delete ntkern. Empty the recycle bin. Then about 30-45 seconds later watch it reappear in the winnt/system folder. REALLY COOL!
      It is not designed for a multimedia use. It does have the capability, but Windows98SE currently offers more support for video/sound hardware and software.

Windows2000

by spectre ·

In reply to Windows2000

Windows2000

by tim.culham ·

In reply to Windows2000

Certainly more adv than disadv. Multimedia (sorry wired777) is a bit advantage to Win2000. Yes, check out the HCL first, but most major vendors will have drivers shortly, check their websites.

Active Directory is awesome (read technet for more info), dynamic disks (ability to move RAID from one system to another and have it autoconfig itself), supports all file systems (except HPFS, but then again, who cares?), runs faster than NT4 on decent hardware. Ability to run files as another username/password without logging out/in, most software installations do not require a reboot (windows reconfigs itself on the fly (for most)). Booting 2k with no domain controller available, it will attach to the conroller when it becomes available (no reboot), Plug & Play, support for dual processor (games will soon support this), DVD support, more stable OS, improved security, trusts are now transitive, no PDC/BDC (everything exists as a logical tree). I could go on and on. Just use it and you will be sending an email li

Windows2000

by spectre ·

In reply to Windows2000

Windows2000

by btriefus ·

In reply to Windows2000

Having just watched the launch I guess I must say Win2K is scalable and reliable. Having just done battle with trying to install it on my ( admittedly older ) equipment I have to rate it H for hard. I had to flash the bios, remove a sound card , Buya bigger Hard drive and add 64mb of ram, I suppose now it is in I may even buy the software. Yeah I guess I will.

Windows2000

by spectre ·

In reply to Windows2000

Windows2000

by mcse lee ·

In reply to Windows2000

For business use, the above answers sum it all up pretty nicely. For home use, it’s too much system – wait for Millenium.

Windows2000

by spectre ·

In reply to Windows2000

Windows2000

by sean khan ·

In reply to Windows2000

Some disadvantages:
      Heavy resource requirements:
      128MB of Ram and P2 350
      Learning Curve:
      User Manager and Server manager are gone are replaced by active directory manager. Many of the neat rticks in 4.0 have been changed.

Windows2000

by spectre ·

In reply to Windows2000

Windows2000

by jdarden ·

In reply to Windows2000

You should see what it can do with an AMD K3-450 and 224mb of ram. Very stable and nice interface.
      If it does not like a piece of hardware, it will tell you. It did not like HomeNetwork by Diamond. Also, Zip drives will not work with it, at least that is what I am told.
      If you already have 98 on your system, don’t upgrade, use the dual boot (need lots of space on drive), it will leave your 98 installation alone, and bring over the information of the installed software for you. If you install on 98 after installing w2k, you will have to go to w2k and install it again in the same directory so you can ues in w2k. No big deal.

Jim

Windows2000

by spectre ·

In reply to Windows2000

Windows2000

by Anonymous ·

In reply to Windows2000

Advantages:
      Really cool look, fading menus, great icons, USB support.

Disadvantage:
      Simply by installing Adaptec DirectCD (included in my HP8100) the whole system crashed at boot, no recovery consolle, neither reinstalling worked (only safe mode worked)
      I was able to recover the situation only by starting from a newly partitioned hard disk.

Windows2000

by spectre ·

In reply to Windows2000

Windows2000

by Anonymous ·

In reply to Windows2000

Advantages:
      Really cool look, fading menus, great icons, USB support.

Disadvantage:
      Simply by installing Adaptec DirectCD (included in my HP8100) the whole system crashed at boot, no recovery consolle, neither reinstalling worked (only safe mode worked)
      I was able to recover the situation only by starting from a newly partitioned hard disk.

Windows2000

by spectre ·

In reply to Windows2000

Windows2000

by spectre ·

In reply to Windows2000

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Viewing 9 reply threads