General discussion

Windows2000 Server as Router

By srg ·
We have two nic cards in our Win2K Server,an internal and external, DHCP is installed on the external card and an static IP Address on the internal, How do we get the internal IP Address to forward or connect to the external nic card in Win2K?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by jyimcse In reply to Windows2000 Server as Rou ...

Install and configure RRAS. It is a windows componenet.

Collapse -

by rayze In reply to Windows2000 Server as Rou ...

right click on my network places and go to properties, then right click on the external dhcp adapter and go to properties, then click on the sharing tab and then click on enable ics

Collapse -

by ins413 In reply to Windows2000 Server as Rou ...

Enter a static route and make it persistent. Point the static range to the dynamic range (external to internal).Example:
c>route add -p (destination) mask (add mask) gateway address. No need to add metric as W2K will take default of 1.

Collapse -

by ChrisTOTG In reply to Windows2000 Server as Rou ...

When you say internal address - do you mean an RFC1**8 private address? (eg, 172.16.0.0/12 192.168.0.0/16, 10.0.0.0/

If so, you need to set up Win2k RRAS as a NAT server or use the ICS setting as mentioned earlier.

If you are using publically routable addresses on your LAN, you just need to set RRAS up as a router and don't install the NAT protocol.

Collapse -

by srg In reply to Windows2000 Server as Rou ...

As per your suggestion installed and configure RRAS,the internal nic has IP
Address 192.168.25.12 & subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and Gateway of 192.168.25.1 where as the external nic has DHCP. My workstation all have the same gateway & subneet mask, but different IP Address and our unable to get out on the Internet ! What am I doing wrong ?

Back to Networks Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)