Question

Windows2003 server

By seiha ·
If I only have one dc, can I install exchanger 2003 server on my dc alone with other application such as goldmine, point software, and sql?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Can you. Yes, but.....

by bart777 In reply to Windows2003 server

I wouldn't do that.
If you only have the one server in the domain then you don't have much choice but I would want to offload those other apps to a non DC if I could. Your users will have a much better experience if the exchange and other apps are located eleswhere.

Now one thing to keep in mind as well.
If you install Exchange server onto a DC you cannot demote that DC. IF you do that you will foul up your Metabase files and OWA will fail. Unless you like spending long hours on the phone with Microsoft I would avoid this.

Best of luck.

Collapse -

I Wouldn't

by rkuhn In reply to Windows2003 server

You can but shouldn't.

How many users to you have? Microsoft does have a product for small businesses that essentially does this...Small Biz Server.

Otherwise, not recommended.

Collapse -

Thank,

by seiha In reply to I Wouldn't

6-8 users with goldmine application and point software or maybe with encompass also

Collapse -

You do not need a DC to install Exchange onto

by Dumphrey In reply to Thank,

it just needs to be a server 2000/2003/2008 platform. Also, for that few employees, I think you will find even an entry level server would do the trick performance wise. Two or four low level server could easily give you much better performance then one big fat server.

Back to Networks Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)