General discussion

Winnt 2000 Files

By jwblaylock ·
I am the help desk technician for a Military hospital. I have gotten a couple of phone calls on error message when people login. Message is "Could Not locate c:\winnt\inf\Au_gdi.pnf". My question is what is a pnf file and how do I correct this error.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by clindell In reply to Winnt 2000 Files

.pnf Precompiled Setup Information (Temporary file seen during installs

Collapse -

by Hector In reply to

OK. But, how can I get rid of this "error".

Collapse -

by cpendley In reply to

Did you get an answer?

Collapse -

Same type Error (Advanced INF Install Window)

by Roggie Bear In reply to Winnt 2000 Files

The error message that I am getting when clients reboot is: Error: could not locate INF file 'c:\winnt\inf\au_gdi.inf'

Collapse -

Failed Microsoft Update

by jarnold In reply to Same type Error (Advanced ...

This message is associated with a failed installation of Windows automatic update...the first time I've seen...it installs a tool to see if you need the update (it could be for Windows or MS Office). the first time you log on after a restart, the tool is supposed to run. I thought the error was the result of the user not being an administrator, but that didn't check out.

I'd guess it will come back the next time automatic updates runs.

Not sure what you deleted, but I don't think it was this...

Go to Windows Update...it will find the tool again, check to see if you need the update, then take you to a page that tells you what to do next. There's a security bulletin , but I've misplaced the number. It's referenced on the page you get directed to if this tool decides you need an update.

good luck

Back to Desktop Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)