General discussion

WinNT4 Domain with 100 win98 clients

By TechNewsletters ·
I have a domain set up with A PDC +2BDC's
What I need to do is create some sort of policy,script or somthing that prevents kids from using the Internet.(Internet Explorer + Netscape) I dont want to revert to somthing like Fortress but since these computers are not WINNT i might have to.
Thanks

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by jbailey In reply to WinNT4 Domain with 100 wi ...

Not to cure about your infrastructure, but if your network is only a single subnet you could always leave the default gateway blank when your assigning IP addresses. Another way to do this would be to give a bad proxy addy in IE itself.

Collapse -

by TechNewsletters In reply to WinNT4 Domain with 100 wi ...

Only problem is that on some days I WANT to be able to use the Internet, yes it is only one submask. SO with this information if would not work, Unless every day i went around and added tcpip config.
Looking for a simpler task.
Thanks anyway

Collapse -

by Tech/Admin In reply to WinNT4 Domain with 100 wi ...

2 Easy ways, on the TCP/IP tab, do not set up a dns server, the pc will be blind to the internet. Also on win98 create a host file and point www.site.com to 127.0.0.1 and make it the default site to browser.
To fix these in 98, use policy editor to make the tcpip tab unavalible to users.

Collapse -

Thanks for answering but is there a way to do it remotly. I dont want to go to the individual stations and do this every time i want them to be able to use the internet. Plus I would like it to depend on who logs in, a student or teacher.
Thanks

Collapse -

Point value changed by question poster.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Networks Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)