General discussion

WINWORD in Office 2000

By Tony ·
Each time I exit Word (Office 2000) I get the error message, "WINWORD.EXE has generated an error and must exit the program. An error log is being generated." THis is it or very close to it! Rinning WIN 2000 Professional, with Pentium 800 and 512Mb RAM on 30Gb HD, Have removed and re-installed TWICE - legal copy!! -What the H... is wrong?? VERY FRUSTRATING is an understatement !!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

WINWORD in Office 2000

by Fossil In reply to WINWORD in Office 2000

A few easy things to check. Fist -- do you hve an "old" copy of word or an install that was done to a different location. Try "FIND:FILE" and check all you hard drives for "WINWORD.EXE" . If one's found, delete it. Second "easy" thing is try the"DETECT & REPAIR..." option form help. My experience is that it's not quite the same as an install, although it's close. NExt is a misbehaving macro. Use "FIND:FILES" to locate your "NORMAL.DOT". Rename all occurances to something else. WORD will recreat upon startup. It''s possible you have a bad add-in/ If none of these work, try the (tedious) reinstall, with a minimum of components. Leave out the converters, alternate languages, etc. Just go for the minimum anbd see what happens. Please post your results -- good or bad.

Collapse -

WINWORD in Office 2000

by DKlippert In reply to WINWORD in Office 2000

The first suggestion is always search your machine for any copies of NORMAL.dot. There should be only one. Re-name it NORMAL.old.
If you have Adobe or any other add-ins, disable them.
Does this happen when you start with Windword.exe /a or when you start Word while holding down the shift key?

Collapse -

WINWORD in Office 2000

by Tony In reply to WINWORD in Office 2000

Ok Guys, Thanks for the prompt answers to my query!
Will try to resolve answers with results obtained.
1) Found 4 NORMAL.DO - deleted all and re-started - it re-created ONE Normal.dot which did NOT solve problem still get error msg.
2) tried opening Winword using the Shift key while clicking on the Menu item - Opened OK, closed OK, NO ERROR MSG
3) tried opening Winword by using the START-RUN BROWSE, winword.exe /a WOULD NOT OPEN
4) tried opening Winword by using the START-RUN BROWSE, c:\programfiles\msoffice\winword.exe and holding down SHIFT Key - opened and closed - NO PROBLEM
5) Tried DELETING ALL & Re-Intall ALL (It is Office Premium!! - Still get Error message!
6) if no success after end of week will do a single WINWORD Install and de-install all other MS Officce Programs and Acrobat read/writer

Thanks for your assistance - now what??

Back to Software Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)