Wireless to a Device which can further transmit internet to a laptop

By utkarshg ·
Hi All,

I am not sure if I sound correct but I am looking for a device which would accept signals from a wireless router and then should transmit signals to a Laptop or any other device through wire.

Is there any such device that exists? I think (maybe I am wrong) if a Mobile (iPhone) can catch wireless signals and I can use my phone as USB tethering, then there should be a standalone device which can do this for me.

Any and all inputs appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

What do you mean somethign like a Plug in WiFi Card

by OH Smeg Moderator In reply to Wireless to a Device whic ...

For the Note Book?

They exist as do WiFi Extenders which will allow the capture of a WiFi Signal and the ability to plug a CAT5 Cable into it and then plug a Computer to it Wirelessly.

http:// www2 .netgear .com .au/NG-connect-micro/internet_fun.htm

Remove the spaces for the link as it???s currently not possible to post URL???s to TR.


Collapse -

Reponse To Answer

by utkarshg In reply to What do you mean somethig ...

Thanks for the reply, but don???t think this will do what I am looking for.

1. I have a TV which does not have a wireless but an Ethernet port for a wire.
2. I have a Setup box which also has an Ethernet port but no wireless.

I cant get the broadband wire near to the TV so I want a device which will collect signals from the current wireless i have and then transmit to the TV.

Utkarsh Gadewar

Collapse -

Reponse To Answer

by utkarshg In reply to What do you mean somethig ...

Hey I am sorry for the earlier reply i think this does what I want.It has the CAT5 cable port, i am assuming that this will transmit data from the wirless to the TV/ Setup box.

Thanks a lot.


Collapse -

What you need is a WLAN bridge

by robo_dev In reply to Wireless to a Device whic ...

It depends on how you connect to the Internet.

If you have a Wifi router, you just use a WLAN bridge like:

Buffalo WLI-TX4-AG300N

This device connects to your WLAN router and gives your four Ethernet ports to plug into for your TV, your STB, and whatever else is at the TV.

If your laptop is the only means to connect to the Internet, then you also need a WiFi Access Point, and you would plug the AP into the Ethernet port of your laptop. You would need to configure the Internet Connection Sharing feature on the Laptop, and the connection for the TV would only work when your laptop was on, obviously.

Not to digress, but you could also use a WLAN router instead of an access point, but that would be more complicated.

Collapse -

Reponse To Answer

by utkarshg In reply to What you need is a WLAN b ...

Thanks, this is awesome suggestion.

Related Discussions

Related Forums