General discussion

Word 2000

By ryan147 ·
I changed my font to Wingdings from Times New Roman and protected the document so no one else could read it. Came back later, unprotected to doc, changed font from Wingdings back to Times New Roman and I could not read what I had written earlier, there were just a bunch of squares. How can I fix this? Please Help!!!!!!!!!!!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Word 2000

by dmiles In reply to Word 2000

This may help
Insert the contents of the original file into a new document
1)Choose New from the File menu to open the New dialog box
2) Double-click Blank Document on the General tab
3)Choose File from the Insert menu to open to open the InsertFile dialog box
4)Select the earlier version of the Wor document,and then click Insert

Collapse -

Word 2000

by ryan147 In reply to Word 2000

sorry didnt help, followed your direcs precisely. old file comes up in Wingdings and still turns to squares when I try to change font. Thanx for trying.

Collapse -

Word 2000

by gbworld In reply to Word 2000

I decided to try this out, just for the heck of it, and I can only find one method to correct this, at least at present. If you use this method, all formatting will be gone.

Create a Visual Basic project. If you do not have Visual Basic, go to the macro option and choose the Visual Basic Editor there. I have not tested this option.

Create a form with a multiline textbox (set the multiline property to true). You also want scrollbars. Copy and paste the document into the text window while this form is running. Then, select all and copy back. The text will be very ugly, but you will at least be able to read it.

I am fairly certain you could make a macro to do the same thing.

By the way, this happens in regular docs saved in wingdings also.

Gregory A. Beamer
MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Collapse -

Word 2000

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Word 2000

by RichTee In reply to Word 2000

There are two ways to correct your situation:

1- If your text is still in Wingdings, copy the text and paste it into an Excel worksheet, cell A1. Then in cell A2 enter the following without the quotations:

?=Clean(A1)"

This will convert the text back to your default Excel font. Format the cell to enable wrap and widen the column for ease of reading.

2- If you reformatted your windings text to Times (or any other TT font), just copy your bunch of squares etc to the Excel Spreadsheet. This will convert it to the default font in Excel. Format the cell to enable wrap and widen the column for ease of reading.

Good Luck

Richard

Collapse -

Word 2000

Thank you every so much richard, you dont know what a godsend you are, and thats why i make the "Q" worth so much hoping i could get the right answer. thanks again,
Ryan

Collapse -

Word 2000

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)