General discussion

Word 2000 and System Resources are dange

By rick ·
My client has a dell dimension l433 celeron machine with 64 MB of ram and plenty of hard drive space with win 98 se, Virtual memory is plenty with more than 3gb. A couple of months ago when you would try to open up word 2000 it would just sit there at the beginning screen then after a couple of minutes it would give me the message "Sytem resources are dangously low would you like to quite win word.exe" so have uninstalling and reinstalling office 2000 with eraser 2000 it still gave me the same message. So i reformatted the hard drive and reintalled everything. It worked fine for a couple of months. Now im getting the same message again? But this time I don't want to reinstall because of the fear of it happening again. Any sugguesttion other than re-installing and removing. I also tried it in safe mode. No go. I removed all programs except for office 2000. PLease keep in mind that i did restart the machine serveral times!!!! I have tried every possible and reasonable thing a computer person would do.So pl

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by steven.green In reply to Word 2000 and System Reso ...

Try manually setting your Virtual memory, it should be set with minimum at about 1.5 times your RAM and maximum as about 2.5 (perhaps as high as 3) times your RAM. Anything else can slow your disk down. If you have set it to the machine deciding, it may be best to give manual a try and see how the machine handles it.

Either way, you should check your temp files under C:\Windows\Temp. Too many in there would cause any machine to crawl. You should be able to delete anything over a coupleof weeks old without any detrimental effect, and while your about it, you might as well clear out temporary Internet files (unless your user access them while off-line).

Hope these give you some pointers.

Collapse -

by rick In reply to Word 2000 and System Reso ...
Collapse -

by waifoon In reply to Word 2000 and System Reso ...

Did you check for viruses? Or did you load too many other applications that are running in the background mode?

Collapse -

Collapse -

by mcessna In reply to Word 2000 and System Reso ...

Check how much free space is on your C drive. YOu can get this error when your free spce falls below 100MB.

Collapse -

i have plenty of hard drive space

Collapse -

by borisporosin In reply to Word 2000 and System Reso ...

I have the same problem 2 month ago. I run Outlook2000 and then Word2000. My system resources were about 15% (128 MB machine, 10 GB of free space for swap). Then I installed Windows2000 with Office2000 Pro and everything works fine. I consulted thiswith my colleague and we agreed that there are memory bugs in Win98 SE when running Office2000. Win98SE loads DLLs from Office2000, but doesn`t unload all of them.
My solution: install Win2k Pro

Collapse -

something to try

Back to Software Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)