General discussion

Word 2000 is verrrrrry slow

By nichole.alspaugh ·
I'm writing a training manual in Word 2000 with many screen shots and I've found it to be MUCH slower than Word 97. Even in normal view, which doesn't show the graphics, when I drag the scroll bar, it takes 3-4 seconds to catch up with me. It alsolags behind my Page Up and Page Down keys. And when I right click on a picture to go to "Format Picture", it takes until a count of 3 for the dialog box to come up.

I've split up my document into several smaller documents, but it doesn't seem tohelp.

I have 10 manuals to write, and I went to Word 2000 because the outlining feature seems to work better, but constantly having to wait on my computer is driving me NUTS!

I have a P3, 550 mhz with a huge amount of RAM - 320M, so I would think it could handle it.

Thanks to anyone who has any ideas!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by DKlippert In reply to Word 2000 is verrrrrry sl ...

There are a few housekeeping measures that you might want to check on.
Reboot before you start to work. Resource or system memory is different than RAM or storage memory and Word is a resource glutton. Consider rebooting when ever resources sink to below about 60-70%
Make sure that FastFind is not on. It should be disabled (?Find fast, work slow?).
Go to Tools>Options and turn off allow fast saves on the Save tab.
Outlook should not be set for Journaling.
You should be using the latest video driver.
Make sure that Versioning is not turned on under File>Versions
When your working with just text, go to Tools>Options and turn on Picture placeholders.
If practical, work with linked rather than embedded graphics.
Defrag graphics andlarge docs love contiguous free space.
Use JPEG, or GIF graphics rather than BMP.
Optimize the graphics for their intended purpose. 72 DPI is fine for the web 300 or less for laser printer etc.
Check Tools>Track Changes and display change on the screen, if you?re using this feature. Run Accept All Revisions and turn this off if you won?t be using it.

Collapse -

by nichole.alspaugh In reply to Word 2000 is verrrrrry sl ...

Thanks for your answer...My network guy had already checked my network resources, which are fine (sorry, I should have said that in my original question). He checked the video driver and it's OK. I tried all of your other suggestions, but unfortunately they didn't speed anything up.

I'm using PaintShop Pro to capture the screen shots (with a .psp extension). I don't save them, I just capture and paste them into my document. Would some other PaintShop-type program work better?

Collapse -

by DKlippert In reply to Word 2000 is verrrrrry sl ...

I use SnagIt from www.techsmith.com. It gives you a great deal of control over what portion of the screen you?re capturing and the format of the output.

Pasting the graphic in the doc embeds it and makes it part of the document. While linking canbe a file management concern, it greatly reduces the size of the file. Save the captured pictures in a folder (the same folder as the doc is OK). Then use Edit> Paste Special Link.

System resources are not network resources. See:
http://www.jacksonville.net/~jaginc

For an article about the differences
(There are no spaces in the URL)

Here is the URL of a site that provides a great set of system information tools.

http://www.sisoftware.demon.co.uk/

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by TimTheToolMan In reply to Word 2000 is verrrrrry sl ...

Hi,

Check your memory usage. Its one thing to have a "huge amount of memory" but if you use it all, then you PC will have to go to disk for virtual memory. Thats slooooow.

Does the disk seem to grind at times?

Run with the task manager up and see what your actual memory usage is really like if on win2k or download a resorce meter if on win98. Images in a document take up a HUGE amount - especially if you have lots.

JPEG images are smaller than other formats but you can lose some quality.

Also to check that you dont have some other general problem with the PC, does it run ok with text documents? or is it only when you include images that it has the problem?

I've heard stories that Win98 doesn't handle large amounts of memory well. In fact some people have reported that increasing the memory actually slowed their PC down! This is a real problem over 511Mb but I've heard people saying it becomes a problem over 192MB

If you're not using win2k or better still winXP then you could consider upgrading. The new OS's are much better.

Good Luck,
Tim.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by david In reply to Word 2000 is verrrrrry sl ...

If you also have Outlook installed, check and make sure that journaling is turned off. I have found that this can slow Word to a crawl.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)