General discussion

Word 2000 Quits Unexpectedly

By computergirl ·
When starting up Microsoft Word, the application closes itself unexpectedly. If nothing is typed, no error message is created. If the user types for a couple of seconds, the following error message is created.

Error 1
"The instruction at "ox77fca778" referenced memory at "ox006e006d"

Error 2

"The memory could not be 'written'"

I have already tried replacing the normal.dot file to no avail. My next course of action will be to reinstall Office 2000, but I would like to avoid this if possible.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by LEGJ1 In reply to Word 2000 Quits Unexpecte ...

If it is not your standard memory or virtual memory, you will have to re-install. Set your virtual to 1.5 times the actual memory if it is a problem. However, I think you may have a corrupt install. Obviously, you will want to remove Office 2000 before re-installing. You never want to repair office. I have found that this rarely works.

Collapse -

by computergirl In reply to Word 2000 Quits Unexpecte ...

I appreciate your help, but I don't think the reinstall will help. Word works fine when other users are signed in, so I know the install worked correctly. I also checked the user permissions, and the user with problems is set up as a power user. The OS is Windows 2000.

Collapse -

by charleskin In reply to Word 2000 Quits Unexpecte ...

I think..(keyword think!), it might be a corrupt font in your system. If you are using a 3rd party font management utility, turn off all your fonts in it. Then try to see if Word will work. Then turn on a few fonts at a time to locate the corrupted font (or re-install all your fonts). If you have your system managing the fonts it's going to be a bit more trouble. Because then you will need to ascertain if you have access to replacement fonts. The procedure then is to delete fonts and re-install them through the system.
Hope this helps, re-post if you have questions.
Charleskin

Collapse -

I wasn't using a 3rd party font manager, but your answer was on the right track and it got me thinking. To solve the problem, I did the following things. Because the problem was linked to a specific user, I deleted her profile on Win2000. I then went through step by step setting her up again, (e-mail, printers, permissions, etc.), checking each time to see if Word still worked. When I installed the printer Lanier 5245, Word stopped working. I discovered that she had a version of the driverwhich didn't work, so I updated the driver and everything works fine. Thanks for getting me thinking about printers and fonts.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)