General discussion

Word 2000 sr-1 crashing when accessing network resources

By SonicClang ·
I don't even know if I'm posting this in the right spot. I've been flamed before here for doing that, so hopefully I'm in the right spot.

I've got a user who's having some issues with her Word 2000 SR-1. When she goes to File > Open, and tries to open a network drive to browse for files, Word hangs indefinitely. I signed into this same machine and the problem didn't happen for me. I've search every combination of words in Google and I just can't find any fixes for this. ****, I can't even find any instances of this same thing happening.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

You're in the right spot (Whew!)

by TechExec2 In reply to Word 2000 sr-1 crashing w ...

You're in the right spot, but you should have opened a "question" instead of a "discussion". No problem.

Some questions:

- What kind of server?

- What client operating system/version?

- Can your user browse the intended server+share via Windows Explorer (using his/her own account)?

- When you say "network drive", do you mean a drive letter assigned to a network share? Or, do you mean a UNC share?

- Does the account that works have any special privileges that your user's account does not?

Collapse -

I started this as a question, not discussion.

by SonicClang In reply to You're in the right spot ...

GRR!!! I clicked on "Post a question", which is right next to the "Start a discussion" button! That same thing happened last time I tried posting something, where it ended up being a discussion instead of a question. These TR forums are confusing I guess.

Ok, to your questions.
- Windows 2003 Server
- Client machine = Windows 2000, running Office 2000.
- The user can browse to that directory on the network without any problems through Windows Explorer and double click the files to open them.
- When I say "network drive" I mean the directory on the network the login script maps for our users when they sign in. This particular one maps as the "T" drive. One thing I just thought about, I could try browsing through the server and go to that folder and see if that works.

Collapse -

Some ideas

by TechExec2 In reply to I started this as a quest ...

I suspect the MS Word File -> Open is not completely hung, is waiting for the network, and will eventually respond. You could prove this by waiting "longer" (not sure how long...try it before lunch). I did some quick Google searches and found some links that may help you (a little overkill...sorry).

According to one of the articles below, if there is a mapped drive letter that is not responding, MS Word will retry/wait several times before giving up. This does not explain why it works for your ID and not for your user's unless your ID's drive mappings are different than hers.

So, you might try removing some drive letter mappings and/or using UNC access to the drive share (as you mentioned).

Also: It looks like the current MS Office Service Pack is SP2. So, you could try upgrading to that.

I hope this helps you get around this.

LINKS

OFF2000: Office Program Stops Responding in the Open Dialog Box
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/298417

How to obtain the latest service pack for Office 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/276367/EN-US/

An Office 2003 program is slow or may appear to stop responding (hang) when you open a file from a network location
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833041

The program stops responding when you try to open or to save a file in an Office 2002 program and in an Office 2003 program
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313937

The "Look In" and "Save As" Boxes in Common Dialog Boxes Are Slow
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321126/

Google Search 1
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=site%3Amicrosoft.com+word+hangs+file+open&btnG=Google+Search

Google Search 2
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=site%3Amicrosoft.com+word+hangs+file+open+network&btnG=Search

Collapse -

mmmkay

by SonicClang In reply to Some ideas

Well thanks for the reply again. I found most of those too myself. But all of those seem to focus on the drop down list not appearing under the "look-in" field. For her, all the drives appear, it's just when you select this certain drive (that is 100% accessible through Windows explorer while Word is being a baby) that word "hangs".

The work around for right now is to have her use Windows Explorer to browse the network and then open the files she needs from there, because she actually really needs to work on this stuff right now, which means I can't touch her computer. She wouldn't like me too much if I kept intentionally making her Word crash to try figuring out what the problem was. :) So I will try some of the things discussed here as soon as she's done or takes another break. I'll come back and tell you what the solution turns out to be once I figure it out.

Collapse -

more suggestions

by Aakash Shah In reply to mmmkay

A couple of things I would try:

If Word is hanging when accessing the network using a mapped drive, then try accessing the network using a network share or vice versa.

I don't recall if Word 2000 included the Detect and Repair (Word 2002 and 2003 include it), but if it does, go ahead and run it by going to Help | Detect and Repair. Select the second option "discard by customized settings..." and run it.

If you mentioned that it doesn't happen when you login, then it may be a profile issue (if it's not a permissions issue as someone mentioned earlier). Try creating a new profile for her and see if that helps.

Good luck!

Collapse -

title of reply

by SonicClang In reply to more suggestions

I did try "Detect and Repair" but it didn't fix it. And I haven't had a chance to try anything else. Thanks for the suggestions though.

The other option is I could just upgrade her to Office 2003 and see if that fixes it. :)

Collapse -

Office 2000

by rleavitt In reply to mmmkay

Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem. This problem was first corrected in Microsoft Office 2000 Service Pack 3 (SP-3).

Collapse -

fixed it

by SonicClang In reply to Word 2000 sr-1 crashing w ...

I fixed it, and I always like to come back to explain what I did and what I found.

The first thing I tried when I had a chance was I browsed to the shared folder on the server and it still hung. And this time I let it sit for a "while", like at least 5 minutes. It wasn't doing anything so I closed it. This let me know at least it wasn't an issue with the mapping.

The next thing I did was, I noticed that she was browsing all files (*.*). So I set it to just browse to *.doc and magically it didn't freeze! What I think was happening was that there must be a file in the folder her Word wasn't liking, but when she just browsed doc's (which is all she's working on anyway) it filtered out the bad file.

Either way though, after I figured all of this out, I realized she should be upgraded to 2003 anyway. She works with clients and outside people all the time and she really needs to have the latest and greatest software. After the upgrade she could browse however she wanted without any problems.

So there may have been an issue with her installation of Word that had to do with browsing for "all files".

Collapse -

Thanks for the update

by TechExec2 In reply to fixed it

Thanks for posting back and letting us know. I always like to hear about how things turned out.

Back to Hardware Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)