General discussion

Word 2000 System resources are dangerous

By rick ·
My client has a dell dimension l433 celeron machine with 64 MB of ram and plenty of hard drive space. A couple of months ago when you would try to open open up word 2000 it would just sit there at the beginning screen then after a couple of minutesit would give me the message "Sytem resources are dangously low would you like to quite win word.exe" so have uninstalling and reinstalling office 2000 and using eraser 2000 it still gave me the same message. So i reformatted the hard drive and reintalled everything. It worked fine for a couple of months. Now im getting the same message again? But this time I don't want to reinstall because of the fear of it happening again. Any sugguesttion other than re-installing and removing. I also tried it in safe mode. No go. I removed all programs except for office 2000. So please help :)

Rick

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by calves In reply to Word 2000 System resource ...

You haven't mention the OS, anyway, it's my experience that when this kind of thing happens, the machine is crying for a reboot to reset memory stacks, the machine needs a defrag, the machine does not have all the updates.
Have you install SR1 for Office 2000?
Have you install the updates for O2K?
Is the OS up-to-date with the updates?

If you need help doing an online update, let me know...

Good luck!

Collapse -

by rick In reply to Word 2000 System resource ...
Collapse -

by curlergirl In reply to Word 2000 System resource ...

The meaning of this message would depend on the OS you are running - Win9x, Winnt, etc. - on the workstation, not the Office 2000 installation. Is the workstation shut and restarted regularly? This is particularly important for Win9x workstations. Also, check your paging file settings. In Win9x, make sure that you have the system set to allow the OS to set the paging file size. In Winnt or 2000, make sure the paging file size is set to at least the memory plus 12MB (i.e., for your 64MB RAMsystem, the paging file should be at least 76MB). Also check maximum registry size on NT - make sure the max registry size is at least 10MB larger than the current size. If you need help w/any of this, feel free to email me directly. Hope this helps!

Collapse -

by rick In reply to Word 2000 System resource ...
Back to Software Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)