General discussion

Word 2000, Word 2003 compatibility

By wwmis ·
The owner of my company has a Dell laptop with Windows XP Pro and MS Office 2003. Another user in the office has a desktop computer that has Windows 98 and MS Office 2000. When the user creates a MS Word 2000 document with tables and tries to send it to the owner who is using MS Word 2003, the owner can not open it. He gets an error message saying the file is corrupt. My short-term solution is to have the user send me the file, and then I open it in MS Word 97 and then save it again. I then send it to the owner who can now open the MS Word 97 version of the file. Is the something I can or should be doing to either the MS Office 2000 or the MS Office 2003 installation that would resolve this issue? Is there something that could be wrong with the tables in the MS Word 2000 documents that Word 97 can handle but Word 2003 can not?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by dustyD In reply to Word 2000, Word 2003 comp ...

Is the owner opening from an email, or after he saves to disk?

Not sure if this applies to opening a file created on another machine, but try checking compatiblility in options on the 2003 machine. Check the tick for Word 2000. This does change one tables property.

Collapse -

by wwmis In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by Furqan Asrar In reply to Word 2000, Word 2003 comp ...

The last time I had this kind of problem was when the 2000 computer had a virus...

In any case, you could try using the "Open and Repair" feature but opening MS Word 2003, File->Open , select the file and then click on the small arrow pointing downwards beside the word "Open" and select Open and Repair...

Collapse -

by wwmis In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by wwmis In reply to Word 2000, Word 2003 comp ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)