General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Word 2002 File Open Search

by david j ·

Just ‘upgraded’ from Word 97 to 2002.

Greatly missing the partial filename search facility when opening files in Word 97.

The Word 2002 search facility from the file open dialogue is too complex to operate and too global for my typical everyday use.

I want to be able to search from the current folder down through subfolders for filenames containing a given character string, just like in Word 97.

How can I get this functionality back in Office XP?

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

by dklippert ·

In reply to Word 2002 File Open Search

They kind’a hid it.
      On the File Open dialog box, click on Tools and choose search.

by dklippert ·

Also try Tools>Customize. On the Commands tab scroll down the File list to search and drag that button to the Toolbar. At the bottom of the Task pane you can choose Advanced or Basic search

by david j ·

They did a lot more than try to hide it, unfortunately.

As said in the original question, I’d found the search facility, but it works on absolute folders with no apparent linkage to the currently diisplayed folder in the file open dialogue. THismakes it much less convenient to use when, as in my case, there is extensive use of folders to separate subject areas.

I was hoping someone might offer a macro to reproduce the Word97 way of doing things: ie start from the current folder and search for filenames containing the supplied string by simply filling in a form – without having to wade through fiddly sub-menus.

Viewing 0 reply threads