Question

Word 2007 ribbon is missing

By jleyse ·
Word 2007 is missing the ribbon. It's not simply minimized because the minimize option is grayed out. It's actually disabled. I checked the addons and didn't see anything relevant. I replaced the normal.dotm. Didn't help. I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling. The first time I opened Word it showed up for a split second then disappeared. it acts like something is turning it off but i don't know what.

I did notice that when I start up Excel/PPT it starts in Compatibility mode and Word doesn't. So i created the reg key that forces it to open in Compat mode. Still nothing.

I just tried starting in safe mode (hold the control key). It opened up and had the ribbon there, but it was all grayed out. I then created a new blank document and it opened up with a fully working ribbon. Strange. I tried saving that document as the normal template but it still doesn't work in normal mode.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

This might be a solution to your missing Word 2007 ribbon.

Before making changes to the registry, back it up. After you?ve backed up the registry, rename the Word data key:

1. From the Windows Start menu, select Run

2. Type regedit in the box and click OK

3. On the left side of the window, click the folders in the following order (the location will vary depending on your version of Word):
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\version number\Word\Data

4. Right-click the Data folder and select Edit

5. Rename the folder

6. Close the registry

When you restart Word, the problem should be resolved. A new data folder will be created automatically.

Please post back if you have any more problems or questions.
If this information is useful, please mark as helpful. Thanks.

Collapse -

Any other idea?

by jleyse In reply to This might be a solution ...

Thanks, but that didn't fix it. I even tried renaming several other folders. Nothing Helped.

Collapse -

Sounds to me as if the install on that computer is corrupt.

by ThumbsUp2 In reply to Any other idea?

Have you tried the Office Detect and Repair feature?

If that doesn't work, you may need to uninstall/reinstall Office.

Collapse -

Try this link and see if it fixes the issue of your greyed out ribbon.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en;307479
I am still looking in the registry to find out if there are any changes that can be made.

If this information is useful, please mark as helpful. Thanks

Collapse -

Try this out when you do a re-install of office.

When you do a re-install, do not use the normal install path on your "c" drive, you can select where you want office to install on your drive so select for example:
C:\Windows\officexxx
Put a number 1 on the end of the location and then just let it do the rest of the install. Hope this helps you out.
Another link to look at:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/aa338202.aspx#OfficeCustomizingRibbonUIforDevelopers_Customizing

If this information is useful, please mark as helpful. Thanks

Collapse -

Missing word Ribbon caused by Add-Ins

by rdowns12 In reply to Word 2007 ribbon is missi ...

I have an employss that had the SAME problem.
The Ribbon Bar wasn't hidden. It was GONE. Regedits, re-installs, nothing worked.
1)I went to the add-ins and disabled everything that was running and got the ribbon back.
2)I started adding them back in one at a time until I found the problem.
In my case is was an ADD-IN called Valuesource that was causing the problem. [This employee is the only one in the office that uses the valusource program]
I would suspect there are other programs that caus ethe same problem.

Collapse -

Reponse To Answer

by rajiv.h In reply to Missing word Ribbon cause ...

I had precisely the same problem ... same Add-in! Thanks a million for this tip! Saved me a lot of time!!!

Back to Software Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)