Question

Workgroup Printing from Vista Home Basic to Lexmark X1150 on WinXP Pro sp2

By barbtighe ·
I am trying to print from Vista Home Basic to Lexmark X1150 printer attached to WinXP Pro. I have downloaded the latest Vista drivers and have confirmed it prints properly when connected to USB. When I try to connect to the network (used Local Network Connection \\Computer\Printer) I get a message indicating "the printer cannot communicate with the computer". I have confirmed that I can see the shared drives from that computer, can see the shared printer, and can access the internet. The printer displays as READY, but when I attempt to print anything it can't communicate.

I have also tested the connection from WinXP Home to WinXP Pro computer the same way as above, this works fine.

I'm not sure if it's the Lexmark Printer or Windows Vista Home Basic.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

I have heard of this

by tintoman In reply to Workgroup Printing from V ...

before although I haven't actually seen it happen
It seems from what others say that you have to install the printer as if it were a local printer attached to your computer even though it isn't and allegedly it works that way
Hope so anyway

Collapse -

Not only that....

by ThumbsUp2 In reply to I have heard of this

If it has been connected via USB, you must uninstall it before reinstalling as a local printer (pretend it's on LPT1). If you don't do this, it will continue to try and communicate over the USB port even though you have selected a different one.

Then, to add to the previous post, after you've gotten it installed to LPT1, you manually add a local port (\\computer\printer) and assign it to the printer.

Collapse -

Thanks!

by barbtighe In reply to Not only that....

Because I am such a gluton for punishment, I will give this a shot!

I will post back to let you know how that goes.

Thanks for the reply!
Barb

Collapse -

Didn't Help in this Case

by barbtighe In reply to I have heard of this

I researched the issue and found that solution also. It just wouldn't work in this instance. As soon as I configured the Local Port \\Computer\Printer and tried to print, I got an error message that it could not communicate with printer. This solution works fine with the Dell 926 AIO Printer that I tested with. Must be a Lexmark thing!!!

Thanks for the response!

Back to Peripheral Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)