General discussion

WXPPRO AND SERVER 2003

By denbruatwork ·
I have a 15 comp. gigabit network running on 2003 server. All but one comp. has W2kpro OS, the other is XP. We use a workgroup instead of a domain. All users have access to various shared folders on the server. There have been no issue until now. I updated the last W98 comp. to WXPpro. I formatted the hard drive for NTFS and had to add the user with his old user name and password. The problem is this: The comp. has access to most shared folders, but one.

All the other comp's, even the other XP has no problem, although these were store bought, preloaded OS's. I get this error when I try to gain access thru my network places and click on the workgroup icon.
MAIN IS NOT ACCESSIBLE. YOU MIGHT NOT HAVE PERMISSION TO USE THE NETWORK RESOURCE. NO MORE CONNECTIONS CAN BE MADE TO THIS REMOTE COMPUTER AT THIS TIME BECAUSE THERE ARE ALREADY AS MANY CONNECTIONS AS THE COMPUTER CAN ACCEPT.

Even when I logged in as the administrator I get the same error code. I checked all permissions at the server and they are set to the same as all the other users.

Well, what do you think?? Got Help!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

workgroup issues

by tmcavan In reply to WXPPRO AND SERVER 2003

You are only allowed 10 concurrent connections to shared resources. Perhaps there are already ten connected

Collapse -

Thanks, one more question please.

by denbruatwork In reply to workgroup issues

I have never seen anything on this, thanks. I went to microsoft and this is what they said:

A Windows client workstation may have opened a pipe connection to the named pipe \PIPE\spoolss on either a print server or a workstation that has a shared printer. This typically occurs when you start a program (such as Microsoft Word) that queries printers, or if you open the Printers folder in Control Panel. Printer spooling on both the client and the server will open a handle related to this connection.
A Remote Procedure Call (RPC) requires one named pipe instance for every active RPC call (like OpenPrinter). If an OpenPrinter call stops responding, RPC keeps open the named pipe connection. RPC does not disconnect this connection until the context handle (that is OpenPrinters) has been closed.

If both the following conditions are true, you may open an anonymous connection (also known as null session connection) that never closes to the named pipe \PIPE\spoolss on the workstation that acts as the server in your peer to peer network: ? Your client has connected a shared printer on the computer that acts as a 'print server'.
? You have set up a local shared printer on one or more clients.

To restrict null session connections (or disable null session access): 1. Start Registry Editor.
2. Locate, and then click the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\LSA
3. On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry value:
Value Name: RestrictAnonymous
Data Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 2
Default: 0

A value of 2 restricts null session connections.

To set the RestrictAnonymous value, change the registry key to 0 or 1 for Windows NT 4.0 or to 0, 1, or 2 for Windows 2000. These numbers correspond to the following settings: ? 0 None. Rely on default permissions.
? 1 Do not allow enumeration of SAM accounts and names.
? 2 No access without explicit anonymous permissions

4. Restart the computer.

Sorry it is so long. I did this and it fixed my problem. MY QUESTION NOW IS, DID I CREATE ANOTHER PROBLEM SOMEWHERE ELSE? AM I DELAYING THE INEVITABLE AND NEED TO SWITCH OVER TO A DOMAIN CONTROLLER?

Collapse -

Workgroup thing

by thusoma In reply to WXPPRO AND SERVER 2003

You propably need to put the computers on a domain workgroup allows only 10 peer - peer connections it means you have to now configure domain so you have central support and security

Collapse -

Thanks, One more question please.

by denbruatwork In reply to Workgroup thing

I have never seen anything on this, thanks. I went to microsoft and this is what they said:

A Windows client workstation may have opened a pipe connection to the named pipe \PIPE\spoolss on either a print server or a workstation that has a shared printer. This typically occurs when you start a program (such as Microsoft Word) that queries printers, or if you open the Printers folder in Control Panel. Printer spooling on both the client and the server will open a handle related to this connection.
A Remote Procedure Call (RPC) requires one named pipe instance for every active RPC call (like OpenPrinter). If an OpenPrinter call stops responding, RPC keeps open the named pipe connection. RPC does not disconnect this connection until the context handle (that is OpenPrinters) has been closed.

If both the following conditions are true, you may open an anonymous connection (also known as null session connection) that never closes to the named pipe \PIPE\spoolss on the workstation that acts as the server in your peer to peer network: ? Your client has connected a shared printer on the computer that acts as a 'print server'.
? You have set up a local shared printer on one or more clients.

To restrict null session connections (or disable null session access): 1. Start Registry Editor.
2. Locate, and then click the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\LSA
3. On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry value:
Value Name: RestrictAnonymous
Data Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 2
Default: 0

A value of 2 restricts null session connections.

To set the RestrictAnonymous value, change the registry key to 0 or 1 for Windows NT 4.0 or to 0, 1, or 2 for Windows 2000. These numbers correspond to the following settings: ? 0 None. Rely on default permissions.
? 1 Do not allow enumeration of SAM accounts and names.
? 2 No access without explicit anonymous permissions

4. Restart the computer.

Sorry it is so long. I did this and it fixed my problem. MY QUESTION NOW IS, DID I CREATE ANOTHER PROBLEM SOMEWHERE ELSE? AM I DELAYING THE INEVITABLE AND NEED TO SWITCH OVER TO A DOMAIN CONTROLLER?

Collapse -

Wrong forum.

by deepsand In reply to WXPPRO AND SERVER 2003

This is a tech. problem, in search of a solution.

It properly belongs in "Technical Q&A," not in "Discussions." In the future, please post such questions there.

Not only will you be more likely to attract the attention of those seeking to provide answers, but you will also make it easier for those seeking discussions to find such.

Thank you.

Back to IT Employment Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)