Question

XP/2000 installation does not start

By ameenmh ·
I have a celeron 1.70GHz PC with a Gigabyte Motherboard, 256MB DDR RAM(pc266), 40GB Samsung HDD.My problem is that I can install windows 98 on the PC, but when i try installing Windows 2000/XP the machine starts the initialisation of the hardware and process and then when the blue screen with the message 'setup will start installation of windows ' appears it stays like that and there is no further progress. The installation does not proceed from there.. Could someone please provide a solution for the same..

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

for xp-installation

by mytech In reply to XP/2000 installation does ...

Hi,
u can check ur hardware like ram .u should also check ur cpu heatsink.becoz sometime this type of prob occurs due to over heating at cpu or smps.or u can try first with 98 than upgrade to win-xp/2000.
all the best
deepak

Collapse -

Recommend XP-upgrade

by anders_emajl In reply to for xp-installation

Hi, agree with deepak3i,
and advice to go for the last suestion -upgrade.

Had the same problem twize and solved it by booting to dos, with a Win98 bootfloppydisc with cd-rom support. Copied the installation files to the hd and started the setup from there.

Collapse -

Tried the upgrade method

by ameenmh In reply to Recommend XP-upgrade

I had tried the upgrade method and also the fresh install. No use. It still gets stuck at the point where it says "Setup is starting Windows". Any other solutions Please..

Collapse -

ram

by jamesatmaisonverre In reply to XP/2000 installation does ...

This is a ram issue.The reason is when xp tries to access a specific part of your memory which is bad , it freezes.When installing windows 98 it does not require the same amount of ram and therefore does not access that specific module.I would try the install on one module at a time to narrow down which one is causing the problem and replace

Collapse -

Thanks

by ameenmh In reply to ram

Of all the replies I received. I guess ur solution is the most apt. The problem is that i only have one memory module ( DDR 1) and the availability to get one for testing itself is a bit difficult.

Collapse -

XP Installation

by shuja52 In reply to XP/2000 installation does ...

It might seems that your hdd having some problem, check the BIOS setting, it may have SATA legacy enabled, disable it and then try again.

Collapse -

SATA legacy ...

by Hanzo21 In reply to XP Installation

Hi,

I think the motherboard was kind of old and wouldn't have a SATA legacy option.

I think I agreed with jamesatmaisonverre that the problem would be a memory problem. Some case that I handled was resolved by replacing the memory (RAM) or upgrading it to a higher capacity.

Collapse -

XP Installation

by shuja52 In reply to XP/2000 installation does ...

Your IDE CAble attached to HDD may required to be changed, or there may be problem in HDD itself

Back to Software Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)