IT Employment

General discussion


XP and Restricted Access

By Rob Groh ·
I'm not an IT expert (at least, not yet =^}

I'm the graphics guy in my company, and our former IT oerson set restrictions on my PC so tight he really had me boxed in. Now, the IT kid is no longer with us, I've been granted Admin rights on my system (after the boss figured out the password), but system permissions still are set with restrictions that prevent me from doing anything really useful. Example: Can't run, can't install programs that alter the registry, can't run INSTALL.EXE, SETUP.EXE, etc.

Can anyone guide me to the correct place to reset the permissions on this particular box? They are in effect even with admin rights.

Thanks, in advance.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

A couple of things to check

by Deadly Ernest In reply to XP and Restricted Access

First the policy settings for the machine are reached via, assuming you are using the Win Classic layout as I do:

My Computer -- Control Panel -- Administrative Tools -- Local Security Policy

In there are are a large number of policies in Account Policies and Local Policies. I suggest you go through and check that all of them are set to what you want. If you are not clear on what they mean from the title and the Help function leave it alone until you do know.

Second. There are some third party software that is used to lock down things, check what is running at start up via:

Start -- Run -- then type MSCONFIG and hit OK

Then check the STARTUP and SERVICES tabs - see what it ticked to be running. Make sure you understand what you are doing before you change any settings.

Third. Also in the Administrative Tools is an icon labelled SERVICES, open this and check what services are set to start automatically and what are disabled or not running.

If your system is on a domain and has domain log in it may also require some changes in the domain policies and authorities.

The best bet would be to bite the bullet and pay a qualified tech a few hours pay to come in and fix things properly for you.

Related Discussions

Related Forums