General discussion

Locked

XP connection to SQLserve w/Access front

By tdm815 ·
I was switched over to XP pro on my network about two months ago. Initially I had SP1. Whenever I would try to close my Access front end connected to a SQL server back end (on the network), the program would hang. I used to have to end the process several times using the Task Mgr before it would finally go.

Three weeks ago we installed SP2. Performance is much better, but the Access front to SQL back still hangs a bit. The good news is I only have to hit end process once before it will go.

We now do automatic updating for XP so I'm pretty much up to date.

Has anyone else come across this problem, and more importantly did you come up with a solution?

My computer (Evo D510) is a Pentium 4 running at 2.5 GHz with 248 MB of RAM. Our Network platform is Windows 2000, and I'm accessing SQL server 2000 with an Access 2000 interface.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by rindi1 In reply to XP connection to SQLserve ...

Often such behavior is due to the programming of your Access front-end or your SQL Backend and it doesn't generally have to do with OS, although updated versions of the OS may come with enhancements which can improve the situation, like it has happened with your SP2.

Collapse -

by tdm815 In reply to

It's an answer that I have considered, but disregarded due to the fact that the frontend/backend work together just fine with Windows 2000.
The front end and back end are relatively simple, although the db is rather large. There are seven other stations working with W2000 that do not have any problems. The only other person with XP has the same hanging problem.

Back to Windows Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Related Discussions

Related Forums