General discussion

xp home drive mapping to 2003 server

By beefjerky128 ·
Ok, I know you cant join a domain with xp home edition, but can you still map a drive to a 2003 server if the user you are logged on with has been created on the server with the same password and appropriate permissions. My guess is no, but I need to know definitively. You could do it on a 2000 server.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by 5jgibbs In reply to xp home drive mapping to ...

Hmm, are you saying if you have a xp home box, you want to map a drive from 2003 to your XP home box? If so, create a shortcut by right clicking on the desktop and clicking ?make shortcut? or new shortcut. Now, its going to ask you for the path, now my situation I would type in \\server\C$ to make a share of that network path, now, from there I would right click on that network path and I would hit map network drive. Now this is backward compatible with 2003, but then again, im not sure about what you mean with xp home. Are you actually running a file server?? Because you need those network paths such as \\nhart-high.nhart.org\scommon\student05\5jgibbs\home

That is actually the network path to my user account on the novel server at the school.. Have fun. Tell me if it worked.

Collapse -

by kiddbadger In reply to xp home drive mapping to ...

I have been able to use XP Home edition and login to the 2003 server automatically and map the drive by following the instructions on this website:
http://vowe.net/archives/001639.html

The program (X-Setup Pro) is a good program, but I'm not so sure it is required for just the mapping and using the network drive.
Hope this helps.

Collapse -

by DouglasB In reply to xp home drive mapping to ...

Yes you can, I do so with both Pro and Home editions. Just open Windows Explorer, right click on "My Computer" and select "Map Network Drive." You must have the user account set up on the server first, obviously.

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)