General discussion

XP Home on Win 2000 Server Network

By phillip ·
Our network is comprised of 20 computers and the server. The server runs winprox as a service and winprox handles the DHCP. I have 5 desktop XP home machines running on the network, 2 ME notebooks and the remainder are win 98 SE computers. I have recently purchased a XP Home notebook and tried to install it into the network.

The XP Home notebook appears to be establishing a contect when booting up. I can connect to the internet through winproxy and send receive email and browes the internet.

When I go to network neighbour hood I can not see any other computers. I do not even see the notebook in the workgroup.

I have tried pinging the notebook which says it has been assigned the ip of 90.0.0.3 and have tried to ping it by name either way it is timing out.

I can ping the server by name and ip address but not of the other computers on the network and can not see them in network neighbourhood either.

Any suggestions would be grealty appreciated.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Curacao_Dejavu In reply to XP Home on Win 2000 Serve ...

The xp firewall is blocking the request, turn the firewall off in the advance tab you have to allow the specific machines or port 135 or so, so other machines can communicate with the xp.

Leopold

Collapse -

by phillip In reply to

Thanks, It wasn't actually the firewall that xp ships with it was a norton firewall that shipped preinstalled. Thanks for drawing my attention back to the firewall.

Collapse -

by rawright In reply to XP Home on Win 2000 Serve ...

WinXP Home edition cannot join a domain. If your network is configured as a domain rather than a workgroup, you'll need the Pro version to join the laptop to the network.

Collapse -

by phillip In reply to

We are running as a workgroup. Thanks for the answer.

Collapse -

by phillip In reply to XP Home on Win 2000 Serve ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)