General discussion

XP Home on Win2000 Server Domain

By NateH ·
I recently set up a client with a Win2000 Server domain. They have 7 machines all running WinXP Pro and all was well.

One of the users' machines died, so he went out and bought his own machine running WinXP Home. He connected it to the network, named his machine the same as his old machine and logged into the domain with no problem. When he told me about it, I first stammered that XP Home will not work on a domain, but after checking his setup it sure looked like it was running fine.

I was hard pressed to explain to him why he should upgrade to XP Pro.

Anyone care to explain why he should or should not have to upgrade?

thanks

Nate

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by hitchcock4 In reply to XP Home on Win2000 Server ...

It is true that a XP home edition computer cannot be a member of the domain.

Is the user accessing files on the network? He may find that he does not have the proper permissions that he should to access these.

Also, from your network standpoint: if you are using Group Policies in your Windows 2000 network, the GP will not be applied to him as a user (or to his computer).

Collapse -

by NateH In reply to

Hitchcock,

The user's computer shows up in the AD list of computers, his account is still active and he is able to logon via his machine. He has access to all the files that he was able to get to before using XP Home. I did not test the GP effects, but for all intents and purposes, as far as he is concerned, he has access to everything he needs, and I can't see where he is limited...

Collapse -

by dmccull2000 In reply to XP Home on Win2000 Server ...

Nate,
Here are the extra features that Windows XP Pro has that Windows XP home addition does not have.

Remote Desktop
Offline Files and Folders
Scalable processor support
Encrypting File System
Access Control - restrict access to selected files, applications, and other resources
Centralized administration
Group Policy
Software Installation and Maintenance
Roaming User Profiles
Support for Remote Installation Service (RIS)
Multi-lingual User Interface (MUI) add-on

If you have any group policies, or network settings that you have added to the network via the server he will not receive these.

If all he needs is access to the network, then XP home addition will work fine.

Hope this helps,
David

Collapse -

by derekjmcm In reply to XP Home on Win2000 Server ...

XP Home only offer peer to peer networking and this may well hamper his ability to connect and work effectively on the domain as he will only be part of a workgroup and not a domain member, however this does not mean that the pc will not see most of the resources, it may just struggle to be integrated into active directory. Therefore if he is running anything that relies on AD (such as managed printing through IE) he would be unable to monitor any printing using a web interface and he may also find that some programs may not respond in the manner they used to. I wold therefore recommend XP pro as it offers full functionality within a domain.

Collapse -

by NateH In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by NateH In reply to XP Home on Win2000 Server ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)