Question

XP Installation error SXS.DLL "D:\I386\asms\10\MSFT\WINDOWS\GDIPLUS\....

By jlietza ·
While doing a clean install of XP w/SP-3, after the files have been copied and the computer has restarted, the installation fails. I will get a error log that says, "SXS.DLL: Syntax error in manifest or policy file "D:\I386\asms\10\MSFT\WINDOWS\GDIPLUS\GDIPLUS.MAN" on line 4. It also has two other errors listed, second - "Installation Failed: \I386\asms. Error Message: A component?s file does not match the verification information present in the component?s manifest. The third error says "Fatal Error: One of the components that windows needs to continue setup could not be installed." And then it goes on to repeat that "A component's file does not match the verification information present in the manifest." The error log has these same errors lists three times; I assume that is because the log is saving (listing the same errors every time a attempt the installation. I have removed all components except the Video card, RAM, CD-DVD and 3.5 floppy drives. Help?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Test the RAM and replace as required

by OH Smeg In reply to XP Installation error SXS ...

This is the sign of either Faulty RAM or RAM with a Timing Issue. Quite often if more RAM has been added to a computer and it is not identical from the same Manufacturing Batch there can be Timing Issues that do not show a problem while the OS is working but prevent the installation of Windows Particularly.

The answer here is to either remove the added RAM till after you have reinstalled Windows or replace the faulty RAM if one has failed.

You can use MemTest to test the RAM from here

http://www.memtest86.com/download.html

But quite often particularly if extra RAM has been added everything will Pass the tests but you still temporally need to remove the Added RAM till after you reinstall Windows. :)

Col

Collapse -

This may help

by Jacky Howe In reply to XP Installation error SXS ...

Are you useing a rewriteable CD, if you are try useing a CDR and burn it at 4X.

If you slipstreamed the CD you may have to do it again and replace the gdiplus.dll file.

If it is an original CD try giving it a clean.

Boot up the System with a bootable Knoppix or PCLinux disk to rule out the CD ROM.

Back to Storage Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)