General discussion

XP logon to win 2003 domain

By r_cretu ·
I get in trouble with my XP at work. I had to reinstall my computer and now I have several problems:
- long delay for domain logon,
- no shared printers available on the network (the search get no results)

I have to tell you that, I see the other computers on the network with their shared files and printers, but I can't install a network shared one.
I have fixed IP for each computer on the domain, Netbios over TCP/IP activated, and testing from administrator account validated on the server (win 2003 standard server).
Any ideea about this delay and network printers sabotage ?
Thank you a lot ! razvan

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by ManISKid In reply to XP logon to win 2003 doma ...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;883268

Collapse -

by r_cretu In reply to

Thanks ManlSkid, but I am pretty sure this is not the exactly case for thge link you submitted. My ID event numbers are ID event 15, 1053, 1054. It seems that this issue is related with DNS and AD etc ... and I am not very confortable with this settings.

Collapse -

by Blackcurrant In reply to XP logon to win 2003 doma ...

Hi

As well as the suggestion above, you should make sure that your DNS is setup properly. As you have static IP addresses, is your address unique? Are all the DNS details in the TCP/IP properties dialog box set correctly? Make sure that you have the server address listed and that it appears first in the DNS search order, followed by your gateway address.

Good luck

Collapse -

by r_cretu In reply to

Well all the workstations on this doamin are setup with the ISP DNS settings. They seems to work fine, but mine is in charge with the back-up of Livestate Recovery Std Server, which don't let me save the image of the server on my HD. It keep asking me the domain, login and password.
I think this is related with the fac that I can't install shared printers from other workstations, and the delay for domain logon. I could only reinstall again the XP, but I am sure it's about security and other stuff that you seem to master pretty well. I will try to put in the TCP/IP property the first DNS: the server IP address, and the second the 3com router. Is it correct ? Thank you

Collapse -

by DouglasB In reply to XP logon to win 2003 doma ...

Are these shared computers using TCP/IP or connected to other workstations? If TCP/IP you will have to install as if it were a local printer, then change the port type to TCP/IP.

Collapse -

by r_cretu In reply to

All workstations are supposed to be on a domain network with a win 2003 server.

Collapse -

by Blackcurrant In reply to XP logon to win 2003 doma ...

Hi again

Our network is setup with a single AD domain, 1 server.

All the clients are configured in the following way: General Properties tab: Static IP address: 192.168.0.x, Subnet mask 255.255.255.0, Use the following DNS server addresses-Preferred DNS server: 192.168.0.1 (the IP address of the Domain Controller which is also the DNS server for the network), Alternate DNS server: 192.168.0.95 (the IP address of the router or 'gateway').

Click the Advanced button for 'IP Settings' IP Address is as above, Default gateway is as above with the Metric set at Automatic. The DNS tab lists first the Domain Controller, then the Gateway. Append primary ... and Append parent.. are checked, as is Register this ... the remaining entries are blank.

WINS is not turned on, and IP filtering under Options is not used.

Also, do you have a valid computer account on the server? Can you logon the server and remotely manage your computer? If not, you should delete any existing account and use the network setup disks (which you can create using the Small Business Server Administrator Consol available off the Start menu), to create a new account.

If you do this you will have to reset your DNS settings, as the Network Setup Disks setup your computer to use DHCP.

Hopefully this will help you out.

Good luck

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)