General discussion

XP Pro login to Win 2000 Server

By DavidG47 ·
I have put together a network with 5 XP Pro client computers logging onto a Windows 2000 Server computer. I created individual accounts for each person in the "Computers and Users" section of the Active Directory. Also, the computer names are in the Computers section of the Active Directory. Even though I have the individual accounts in the Users part of the Directory, not everyone is able to log onto the network using their individual accounts. Everyone is able to log on using the Administrators account. Can anyone please help me trouble shoot these problems?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by cmptrwhz In reply to XP Pro login to Win 2000 ...

David,

Have you added the XP Pro machines to the domain?
Right Click on My Computer, click on Properties, the click on Computer Name, and click Change.
Set the domain name for the network.

You will need the administrative username and password to allow the computers to join the domain. The reason that you are only able to login to the computers via the admin username is because the pc's are not attached to the domain even though they are in AD, they are only looking at the local user table.

Hope this helps.
Mike

Collapse -

by DavidG47 In reply to

Of course all of the computers are part of the domain. If they were not part of the domain, even the administrator would not be able to log onto the network, only locally.

Collapse -

by BlackDiamond In reply to XP Pro login to Win 2000 ...

Hey,

Are there any error messages when trying to login or anything listed in Event Viewer that would help us diagnose this?

Collapse -

by DavidG47 In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by DavidG47 In reply to XP Pro login to Win 2000 ...

I created individual accounts for each person in the "Computers and Users" section of the Active Directory. Also, the computer names are in the Computers section of the Active Directory. The error message I get when I try to logon to the server using the individual login accounts is: "Windows cannot connect to the domain, either because the domain controller is down or otherwise unavailable, or because your computer account was not found. Please try again later. If this message continues to appear, contact your system administrator."

this is the scenario
When I first installed WinXP Pro onto this computer, in the initial setup, I gave it the information needed to join the network... the name of the "domain" and the user name and password of the person authorized to make this computer a member of the domain. It joined the domain successfully. The client computers administrator password, and the domains administrator password are the same. At one time I did change the domain's administrator password, and it didn't make any difference. The 2 computers that are having the login problems were not able to get onto the domain without the original administrator password being the same as it was. Remember, there are only 2 computers that are having trouble getting onto the domain with the individualy assigned user names and passwords. They can successfully get onto the domain with the domain administrators user name and password, so I know they are part of the domain. When I attempt to log onto the domain with their assigned user name and password, I get the error message, and can't even get on locally, it just takes me back to the login screen. So, it is something in the domain login that is preventing me from logging in to the domain.

Collapse -

by DavidG47 In reply to XP Pro login to Win 2000 ...

ERROR MESSAGES!!!
Yesterday, september 10th, 2003 I went back to the offices to attempt to connect the 2 pc's to the domain. Once again, I have no problem connecting to the domain as administrator, but could not connect as the user. So I logged on to the local machine and successfully pinged the server IP address, and the server by name. I went into Users in the Control Panel, and the user was not listed, so I started the process of adding the user's name, etc. As I was trying to add the user, this error poped up: "the user could not be added because the following error has occured. The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed." Another error I got later as I was trying something else was:
DNS name does not exist.
The query was for the SRV record for_ldap._tcp.dc_msdcs.SUMNERANDSHIM
Common causes of this error include the following:
-The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS.
-One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to it's child zone; SUMNERANDANDSHIM
-(the root zone)
When I tried a nslookup, I go the following message:
Can't find server name for address 10.10.10.1: non-existent domain.
Default servers are not available.
Default server: Unknown
Address: 10.10.10.1

Collapse -

by RRV In reply to XP Pro login to Win 2000 ...

Hi,
Server is working. AD is not up. Check computer users in administrator tasks. Check if the basement is created. Then ping in the same PC. Then NSLOOKUP. if your basement is perfect you can lookup the server. then in programs\Administrator tasks\Domain users and computers add a domain user with normal user rights and set a default password. From the client right click my computer, go to properties\Network button. The network wizard comes and selection option which tells that you have a domain not a workgroup. you will be asked for domain admin password and domain name too. Once done you have to restart. Then while loggin in you have to change the domain name in the login dialog of client. if login is failure login as local admin in client and ping the domain.
If you understand what i tell u can definitely make your W2K/WXP combination work. They both are made for each other and work perfectly.
RV

Collapse -

by DavidG47 In reply to

I have never seen or heard of a "basement" within Windows 2000 Server. And I am pretty sure that AD is working because other users on the network are authenticated by AD without any problems at all. Three users on the network log onto the network just fine, but two of the users cannot log in at all.

Back to Networks Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)