Question

xps 400: to save or not to save?

By veeks ·
have owned my xps400 since 2003. running Pentium D CPU 2.80GHz 2.79GHz 3GB RAM
with windows xp service pack 3. runs okay. bogs down substantially when moving files to external devices. other than that its alright. reformat hard drive every 8 months. clean system with defrag and other programs every once in a while. would it be worth it to invest some money on upgrading system? and if so what types of upgrading would be beneficial to computer to get it up to par? any help would be greatly appreciated!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Here I'm assuming you mean coping files to external media

by OH Smeg In reply to xps 400: to save or not t ...

Like a USB HDD.

The problem here is the age of the system and the speed of the USB interface which is the slowest currently available.

You could fit a USB3 PCI Card to this to speed up the move/copy to external Media. I would also suggest fitting 4 X 1 GIG RAM Modules to get as much performance as possible out of the unit but you need to install Matched Pairs of RAM as you may run into Timing Issues if you use different RAM Modules.

If you want a bit more performance you could fit 2 identical HDD and configure them in a Stripped RAID Array to get faster Disc Read/Writes which will speed things up even more but here it just depends on how far you want to go and how slow you think that the system is currently.

Col

Back to Hardware Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)