General discussion

Yamaha 4416S CD-RW not burning CDs

By jedurham36 ·
I have a Yamaha 4416S CD-RW that won't burn cds. It will read just fine, but when I try to burn, all indications say that it burning, but I get a blank CD when it is done. I have told it not to test, just burn the CD.
The system it is in:
Dell Optiplex G1
400MHZ
256 RAM
Adaptec 2910C SCSI card
Windows XP Pro
Nero Burning (Demo)

Event Log error:
Event I 7
Type: Error
Description: The device, \Device\CDROM1, has a bad block

XP says that both the CD-RW & SCSI card have no problems. The are both working correctly in the device manager. There are no driver updates, XP has all the SP & patches installed. I have tried the card & drive in other machines & O/S with the same results. I would like to know if anyone else has encountered this before. I am about to send it to the junk pile.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to Yamaha 4416S CD-RW not bu ...

see if you can get the cover off and clean the 'head' (will look kinda like led)? if the cover has those mini-torx screws, a eye-glass size screwdriver should work...i had similar problems on my liteon, and cleaning fixed it beautifully...hope this helps and good luck...

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to Yamaha 4416S CD-RW not bu ...

another thought---is it possible that in the past you've been using 640MB blanks and now you have 700MB blanks? if so see if you can get your hands on a 640MB blank. if that works you may need a firmware/driver for the cd burner...

Collapse -

by jedurham36 In reply to Yamaha 4416S CD-RW not bu ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Yamaha 4416S CD-RW not bu ...

humm...Have Nero test the burn. Also does Nero actually recognize your CD-RW? What does Nero show for a recorder when you click on the Recorder button in menu bar and the drop down menu appears? Is the Yamaha Drive listed? If there is no recorder listed, Nero isn't writing anything anywhere. I do not know if Nero goes into a reduced functionality mode if a demo period expires but you might check that out.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Yamaha 4416S CD-RW not bu ...

Also with Nero open, click on file, click on preferences, click the experts tab. Make sure that enable overburn is NOT checked. Nero states that overburning your CD's to squeeze in more that what the stated capacity of the CD might damage your recorder. If you tried an overburn, you might have damaged your recorder.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by ALQuinones In reply to Yamaha 4416S CD-RW not bu ...

Cleaning is out of the question. You will do more harm then good. The only way to clean any CDROM lens/laser is with the a special CDROM Laser cleaner. You can find them at any good Audio/Video store. Also Nero will not work in mix mode. If it was set to overburn you have/may damaged the burner. Most burners are not designed to overburn. Even if the software supports it.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Hardware Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)