General discussion

Yamaha CRW2100EZ trouble

By ammoussa ·
My Yamaha CRW2100EZ was working fairly good under Windows 2000, though it was very loud as what is known about this model. When I later upgraded to Windows XP, it continued working for a time but later showed problems concerning its function as a CD-ROM device. When a disc is inserted, the drive may or may not spin at all (50/50). When it does, everything contiues normal. The LED doesn't give any clue to malfunction. I tried cleaning the device with compressed air as recommended by Yamaha, and reapplying the firmware upgrade (though the procedure won't start up with a message to "remove the disc" when there is no disc inside and the LED lights a constant orange!).

I decided to open the case. I found that just a little touch to the disc would initiate spinning. Does this denote motor failure where enough torque to initiat spinning is not available. Could this problem be solved (lubrication?).

I would like to note that I'd expected more especially that the Yamaha tended to be in the higher edge price. It is not subjected to heavy use, perhaps it only burnt 50 discs in its lifetime.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by wlbowers In reply to Yamaha CRW2100EZ trouble

Sounds like its time to replace the unit. Reguardless of how many disk it burnt. Power has been on the unit and it has been cycled at every turn on.

Led's and switches fail. Not what you want to hear I know but that is electronic gear.

Lee

Back to Hardware Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)