Question

YEY-YEY-Inspiron 1501

By technogeek-1995 ·
I think you all know how many problems I have had with this computer and they now seem to be resolved...except I have an external hard drive (had all file on it) and now I can't get the driver to install. How can I fix this without trashing ALL my files?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

20 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

How do I get the driver off the HDD

by technogeek-1995 In reply to YEY-YEY-Inspiron 1501

How do I get the driver off the external hard drive?

Collapse -

What Driver?

by OH Smeg In reply to YEY-YEY-Inspiron 1501

With USB HDD's all that is required is to plug them into a port that can provide enough power to run the drive or use an external Power Supply.

So after you plug this drive what is showing in Drive Management?

Col

Collapse -

Converstion Carried to Drivers

by technogeek-1995 In reply to What Driver?

Post is in the "DRIVER" Post here...

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=101&threadID=282341

Collapse -

If you think we're going to chase you around to different threads...

by ThumbsUp2 In reply to Converstion Carried to Dr ...

... think again.

Either keep the conversation about one PC/Laptop in one thread where we can all track what has happened to it and what you've done to fix it, or forget getting help with it.

It's tough enough for us old farts to keep track of what we had for breakfast, let alone trying to remember what you've done to ONE flippin' PC!!!! X-(

Collapse -

Unfortunately the SCSI Interface for

by OH Smeg In reply to Converstion Carried to Dr ...

My Crystal Ball broke quite some time ago and the maker has since ceased trading so I have Absolutely No Idea of what you want here.

The more you ask incomplete questions the harder it is to even get to the bottom of things.

But as there are No Drivers required to plug in any External HDD's to a XP or newer computer system I can only surmise that you haven't been using the Safely Remove Option in Windows and have Corrupted the Partition Information on the HDD.

Partition Table Doctor may be of some use in that case but I have no idea of how well it works or even if it does work. Also the more you do now to recover your Data and don't the harder it will be when you shell out for the right tool.

http://www.ptdd.com/download.htm

Col

Collapse -

That won't help

by technogeek-1995 In reply to Unfortunately the SCSI In ...

That won't help because it will not recover.

And...BTW: it doesn't even show up as E drive in My Computer.

Collapse -

Look in Disc Management not My Computer

by OH Smeg In reply to That won't help

You need to see what is actually happening here. If the Partition Information is Corrupt nothing at all relating to the Drive will appear in My Computer.

To get to Disc Management left click on Start, Control Panel, Classic View, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, then Disc Management in the Lower Left Hand Pane of the Window that opens.

Col

Collapse -

I don't see anything...

by technogeek-1995 In reply to Look in Disc Management n ...

I don't see anything about my drive there.

Collapse -

Was the drive connected at the time?

by OH Smeg In reply to I don't see anything...

If it was then the Enclosure, USB Lead or the HDD have failed.

The Lead is the easy thing to check all you have to do is look at it. The enclosure is harder as the only real way to check it is to open it remove the HDD and fit another one and plug in again. If it works not the HDD is shot and the USB Lead and Enclosure are OK.

If the Partition Information had been corrupted you should see the Drive in Disc Management as a Blank Device that whenever you go near Windows asks you to Format. If that isn't there the Enclosures Interface isn't being recognized at the very least so you have a Hardware Issue here not a Software Driver Missing.

Col

Collapse -

How do I take it a part...

by technogeek-1995 In reply to YEY-YEY-Inspiron 1501

I do believe that that is the problem. How do I take it a-part...I don't see any screws?

Back to Hardware Forum
20 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next