General discussion

Zip Drive Letter Assignment in Win 2000

By gcastonguay ·
I have a PC with Windows 2000 Pro which connects to our Novell NetWare 4.11 server using the F drive as the standard login drive. C is my hard drive, \ is my CD-ROM drive, E is my CD Burner and F is my network login drive.

When I connect my Zip Drive to the PC and power on - it assigns it a drive letter of F. On my old PC running Windows 95 - Iomega had the Guest account which would allow you to change the drive letter assignments and I set it to a network drive letter of J.I would like to do this again.

I have already downloaded the lastest driver for the Zip Drive, checked in Device Manager and tried changing the drive letter here, as well as, under Computer Management in Win 2000, to no avail.

Any other suggestions.

Thank you.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Try this procedure: Log in under an administrative account to the local W2K Pro machine and install the Zip drive. Then you can go to Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Storage, and Disk Management and change the Drive Letter and Path of the drive by right clicking over the drive and making the selection. Pick any available drive letter that will not conflict with you network drive mappings.

Collapse -

I Omega may also have a utility for renaming the drive, check out their site as well.

Collapse -

by gcastonguay In reply to Zip Drive Letter Assignme ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Hi Elvis:

I already have Administrator privledges and have tried this. I does not allow you to change the Drive or the Path.

Collapse -

by timwalsh In reply to Zip Drive Letter Assignme ...

I just tried this on a Win2k Pro box in my office and didn't have any problems changing the letter (I have an external USB Zip 100).
Question: when you say you tried to no avail, are you saying that the Change Drive letter and path option was not available (greyed out)in the context menu, or that when the Change Drive Letter and path window opened you only had one drive showing, or that when you highlighted the current drive (in this window) and hit the Edit button, you weren't offered the ability to change the drive letter?
If this sounds like a basic question, sorry, I'm trying to ascertain just what you have tried.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by jmatt In reply to Zip Drive Letter Assignme ...

Here is my file , see if it helps .

Download Tweakui , complete with install instructions from ,
http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/downloads/PowerToys/Networking/NTTweakUI.asp

----------------------------------------

Go into the device manager to the drive(s) you want to change the letters of and select properties. Then on the settings tab you will see "Reserved Drive letter". Change that to read the letter you want, in both 'start, and end' drive letter assignment.
Reboot---------------------------------------

Letter Assigner . ( Freeware )
http://www.v72735.f2s.com/LetAssig/Screenshots.html

--------------------------------------

How to Prevent Drive Letters from Changing After You Add a Hard Disk or a CD-ROM (Q282530)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q282530

---------------------------------------------

COA32 (Change of Address/32) is a 32-bit Windows version , which
runs under Windows 95/8 and Windows NT 3.51 or higher, lets you change
the drive or directory of a Windows program without having to
reinstall the program.
It works by searching for all references to the old path and updating
them to reflect the new path.
http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/stories/info/0,10615,77440,00.html

-------------------------------------

Another way through the registry .
Start / Run , type in regedit , press OK or Enter , press F3 , tick
1st 3 boxes , type in LastDrive , press Enter . Make lastdrive=Z

-----------------------------------

Try , Control Panel > System > Device Manager > Disk drives , double click on the 1st drive & click on Settings . Tick Removable , this now allows you to change your drive in Current drive letter assingnment .
Repeat for the other drives .

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Desktop Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Related Forums