General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Zipp drive not recognised in Win 2000

by martin ·

Hi,
    I have a Iomega 250 meg Atapi zipp drive.

It is connected as a slave via a Highpoint technologies raid card.
    There is a normal hard drive attached as a master with no mirroring or raid set.

In windows 2000 the drive is not detected, however until I swapped the faulty 100 meg zip for the 250 I had a working drive in Win 98.
    Unfortunatly I do not have 98 availiable now as I upgraded to 2000.

Te drive is detected by the raid card and it does have power to it.

Any thoughts on whyit won’t detectin windows 2000?

Martin

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

by oz_media ·

In reply to Zipp drive not recognised in Win 2000

Sounds like your BIOS has disabled plug & PLay detection. I think it is called Extended Memory Services or soomething similar.
      Check with the Manufacturer of your PC’s mobo or last BIOS update.

by martin ·

Good Idea, but unfortunately I have checked the bios and the plug and play was already enabled.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Martin

by deeda ·

This might not help- you probably already tried it but I had a problem simlar to that only on Windows 98- it didnt see it when i restarted the computer so what i did was installed it the cd rom. and it installed it great.

by martin ·

Unfortunately changing the positions of the drives causes windows to rearrange the drive letters and not reboot! (Aaagh)

So I had to put it back to the original locations.

So windows sees the drive on start up but when it gets into windowsit does not recognise that it is there. Don’t you just love windows. 8-((

The annoying thing is that it worked fine under 98…

by d_v ant ·

Have you installed IomegaWare yet?

by martin ·

I think that dmartin’s idea of swapping the cdrom for the zipp drive may be a sensible thing to try.

I am just waiting for some new IDE cables before I try that as the current one’s are a little tight.

As soon as they arrive I’ll swap things around and see if that fixes it.
      I have found out that maybe the highpoint raid array doesn’t officially support zip drives????

Martin

by oz_media ·

I have seen this in an over loaded system too.
      DVD, CDRW, ZIP, 2 HD’s etc. (the list went quite long)
      When I removed all but the CROM and ZIP which were masters on separate cables, it came to life.
      Adding the rest of the devices afterwards was noproblem, but I’ve heard ZIPs are fussy when not used as the Master on its own ribbon first.
      At this point, I’m sure you’ve tried almost everything though.
      Just food for thought, good luck!
      HS

by martin ·

Thanks Ozmedia, but it worked ok in 98 with the same hardware so I insist that it will work under 2000… or else!

by oz_media ·

Last shot from me I think.

I assume you have, but will remind you anyway.

As I’m sure you know,some devices just don’t work with win2K. In the case of your HD I don’t think this is an issue, but…I assume you’ve been to the vendor site and asked about Win2K installation and drivers.

Also, try installing it as a master on its own ribbon (if there’s room). Unplug anything else on the ribbon and see if it will work as a master on its own ribbon. Then add other devices and see if the problem replicates, possible on another device. Sometimes it’s just the order that Windows sees things, assigns interrupts etc.

by martin ·

Thanks for the reminder Ozmedia.

I have now reached the point of re-installing windows due to a double hardware failure. 8-(( (Chip & Motherboard)

The zip drive is now on the main IDE cable and the cdrom’s are on a new raid card.

Despite all that the cd’s are getting event 9,11,51 erros so I am going to have to swap two of the hard drives onto an earlier raid card and put the cd’s back onto the IDE cables to the main board to see if that finally cures all the problems.

The zip drive is now working perfectly, as it should being back onto the main IDE.

What a damn game… Anyone want a computer??? Slightly dented where I have been booting it up with my safety boots.

Martin

Viewing 5 reply threads