A recently-published infographic from Digital Guardian can help your employees recognize and steer clear of phishing, spear phishing, and social media attacks.
Phishing attacks are on the rise--in 2016, 58% of security incidents in which user credentials were compromised occurred through phishing attacks, according to the Verizon Data Breach Investigations Report.
Companies have faced phishing threats since 1996. But the first quarter of 2016 saw a nearly 250% increase in phishing sites and associated email traffic, according to the APWG 2016 Phishing Trends Report. And, the US is No. 1 in terms of nations hosting phishing websites, the report stated.
A new infographic from Digital Guardian provides examples of the three primary threat methods: Mass-scale phishing, spear phishing, and whaling. It also explains emerging phishing tactics such as vishing (voice phishing), smishing (phishing via SMS messaging), and social media phishing.
The infographic also offers tips on how to mitigate a potential phishing threat, such as by filing a complaint with the FBI or alerting the supposed sender of the message you've received.
- The junk mail campaign: spamming and phishing with Trump (TechRepublic)
- Phishing, sophisticated attacks most troubling to IT security pros (ZDNet)
- Report: The top 6 industries hit by ransomware (TechRepublic)
- Security TV: Beware of the early morning phish (ZDNet)
- Report: 80% of businesses can't properly manage external cyber attacks (TechRepublic)