Employees receive nearly five phishing emails per work week, according to Avanan.
One in every 99 work emails is a phishing attack, according to a recent Avanan report. With employees accustomed to a busy inbox, it's easy to fall victim to a phishing attack disguising itself as a regular message.
SEE: Phishing attacks: A guide for IT pros (free PDF) (TechRepublic)
From 2013 to 2016, cyberattacks cost business more than $5 billion, indicating how detrimental these subtle attacks can be to an organization. In just one year, between 2016 and 2017, phishing attacks increased by 65%.
Phishing emails are known to act as trusted brands, mimicking the brand logos and email templates. One in 25 branded emails is phishing, the report found, and the most popular brands they pose as are Microsoft (43%) Amazon (38%).
To learn more about these attacks, and how to prevent them, check out the infographic below:
- How to become a cybersecurity pro: A cheat sheet (TechRepublic)
- 10 dangerous app vulnerabilities to watch out for (TechRepublic download)
- Windows 10 security: A guide for business leaders (TechRepublic Premium)
- Online security 101: Tips for protecting your privacy from hackers and spies (ZDNet)
- The best password managers of 2019 (CNET)
- Cybersecurity and cyberwar: More must-read coverage (TechRepublic on Flipboard)