It’s getting easier and easier to indulge in computing nostalgia, with the latest opportunity coming courtesy of a new Windows 95 app.
The vintage OS can now be downloaded and booted in less than five minutes, thanks to being bundled into an 128MB Electron app by developer Felix Rieseberg.
While classic versions of Windows have been available in the browser for many years, the app allows users to run a Windows 95 machine locally and save its state.
The desktop is responsive and runs smoothly. There are limitations, networking doesn’t work and the default desktop software is fairly bare bones, although it includes old favorites such as Minesweeper, Solitaire and Paint among the Accessories.
SEE: Mobile device computing policy (Tech Pro Research)
However, if you want to test out some ancient piece of software, the app now supports floppy disks, allowing users to mount them as .img disk images. One YouTuber has already got the game Doom 95 running relatively smoothly on the OS and there seems to be interest in using it to revive other old software, such as Microsoft Office 2003.
Work is also going on to fix the network stack and get Internet Explorer up and running on the system, as unsafe as that might be.
- Technology that changed us: The 1970s, from Pong to Apollo (ZDNet)
- Photos: Tandy, Symbolics, Atari, Sun, and more at Vintage Computer Festival Pacific-Northwest (TechRepublic)
- Photos: Frogs, Enigma machines, Tandy, and more at Vintage Computer Festival East XII (TechRepublic)
- Photos: Apple II clones, an ENIAC emulator, and more from Vintage Computer Festival East XI (TechRepublic)
- Photos: Homebrew CPUs, IBM mainframes, amazing replicas, and more from Vintage Computer Festival West XI (TechRepublic)
- Ghosts of tech past: Photos of data storage from the 1950s – 1980s (TechRepublic)
- Computer hardware depreciation calculator (Tech Pro Research)
Subscribe to the Developer Insider Newsletter
From the hottest programming languages to commentary on the Linux OS, get the developer and open source news and tips you need to know. Delivered Tuesdays and Thursdays