General discussion

2000 machine won't shut down

By NatCat ·
The problem is that a relatively new 2000 machine doesn't always shut down by itself. It seems to hang up just before it shuts itself off.

Does anyone have an idea where to begin looking to solve this problem ?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by bc.miller3 In reply to 2000 machine won't shut d ...

I have encountered this same problem. Did you happen to note exactly when this problem began occurring? Had you installed (or uninstalled) any software or hardware?

When I have experienced this same problem, it was due to an application that I installed for my users. IBM AS/400 Client Access software. This application is written for Win95 and WinNT. Installing it on a different OS frequently causes shutdown problems. Apparantly, the IBM AS/400 software somehow interferes with Windows Power Settings, which therefore interferes with the PC shutting down properly. Both Windos 98 and Windows 2000 "hang" on shutdown, often when the screen goes black and there is a blinking cursor in the upper right corner. The PC must then be manually turned off.

To compound the issue, this Power Settings problem causes Windows XP to blue screen. Even using the Program Compatibility Wizard does not fully resolve the problem.

I would advise you to carefully look over all the software that you have installed and make sure that it is listed as being compatible with Windows 2000. If you find that you have software that is not, you may look on the web to see if there are patches or updates for the software that will resolve your problem. If no patches or updates exist, then uninstall the software.

Also, make sure that you have installed the latest Service Pack (SP2) and updates for Windows 2000 from the Microsoft website.

Good Luck!

Collapse -

by NatCat In reply to 2000 machine won't shut d ...

Thanks, I'll install the SP2 and see what happens

Collapse -

by Sales In reply to 2000 machine won't shut d ...

Most of the times your system won't shut down because it can't close a program that's currently running. The hard part is finding that program and disabeling it.
Try this;

1) under your start>run type 'msconfig'.

2) Click the 'Start Up' tab.

3) end the first program running on the list, then try to shut down your system.

4) repeat step 3) until your system shuts down, and you will find the program that's hanging your system.

If that doesn't work, then;

1) Hit Control + Alt+ Delete ONCE to see whats running on your system before you shut down.

2) Shut down the first program on the list manually then try to shut down your system.

If it hangs, restart and shut down the next program on the list.

It takes time, but you'll probably find the program thats hanging.

sometimes its a version conflict with software running in your system tray.

If your computer is connected to a network, your probably having trouble logging off the network, or shutting down a program that your using on another system.

Hope this helps

Collapse -

I've tried pin pointing the problem but can't seem to identify to problematic program.
Most aggrevating. But a good course of action.

Collapse -

by bc.miller3 In reply to 2000 machine won't shut d ...

Please note that the 'MSCONFIG' command does not exist in the Windows 2000 environment. It only works in Win98, WinMe, and WinXP.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Desktop Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)