General discussion

accessing 12gb under windows server 2003

By nshivkumar ·
i am using an Intel server mother board SE7501HG2 with dual xeon processor 3.06 ghz. i have populated 12GB DDR RAM (2GB x 6 banks). During bios boot-up system shows 12GB. The OS loaded is windows server 2003 standard edition. Under this OS, windows system info shows 12GB. However after loading service pack-1, the system shows only 4GB. as per microsoft i disabled the /PAE switch in boot.ini. then also it shows only 4gb. need procedure for accessing 12GB

thanks

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by krunoslav.lujic In reply to accessing 12gb under wind ...

As I have rihgt understand you, you are attempting to address 12 GB on Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition. Microsoft on that version of windows support only 4 GB as limit. I do not know how you have first time address all 12 GB of RAM, but I think it is only displayed amount and windows can not work with more then 4 GB. It is recomend that you use some other version of windows OS like Enterprise Edition with support for grater amount of RAM.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/sysreqs/default.mspx

Collapse -

by cmiller5400 In reply to accessing 12gb under wind ...

W2k3 Server Standard edition only supports 4GB of memory. There is no way to change the size of memory that it will support that I know of. You must buy Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition to support that amount of RAM.

Back to Networks Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)