Question

Accessing a Windows 2003 server

By info ·
hi
I am trying to access a windows 2003 server from one domain to another domain. the main network runs dns,ad dhcp etc . the network I am trying to connect to specifically a network shared folder gets it's IP from the main network it's static with dns pointing to the main server. I ahve setp my name as admin.
When I browse and try to connect I get
Login Failure: The target account name is incorrect

anything to check on??

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Make Sure

by StealthWiFi In reply to Accessing a Windows 2003 ...

you type your user name with the proper domain.
Example: server hosting files is on domain ABC.local. You are on domain DEF.local.

If you have a proper login with the right credentials to access the files on ABC.local then login with the IP of the server (ABC.local) and username as: ABC.local\username

Collapse -

access

by info In reply to Make Sure

I am using Business Vista through network to find and double click on name of computer on domain abc.local..thats 's when I get that error message if i use the Ip address in search box and username same error message

Collapse -

vista

by info In reply to access

the other things is from windows 2003 server I can access a shared folder on the Visat workstation but not the other way around

Collapse -

Re: access

by StealthWiFi In reply to access

Are you sure you are typing in abc\username ?
ABC has to be the correct domain for that server.

If you use the "network" to find the server and double click it will automatically try the username as part of the domain you are currently on, be sure to specify the correct domain.

Also check security settings and Group Policy if applied to ensure accessing from the network, logging on and so forth are set to not deny you access.

Is the server you are failing to access a domain controller?

Note: Deny always takes precedents over any allow settings

Collapse -

server access

by info In reply to Re: access

Yes it is a domain controller onanother domain my name is setup in both domains as a admin when i search and find the server dbl click on thats whne I get error message i don't even get a username password box at all
ill look at a policy or maybe it is s trusr issue domain abc is 2000 and domain def is 2003
thanks

Collapse -

Re:

by StealthWiFi In reply to server access

When you double click in it it's going to default to your current domain/username which in this case would fail.

You need to try it by IP of the server and give it the proper domain\username.

Why on earth do you have two domains? Are you trying to create some sort of VLan? There are much better ways.

Collapse -

server access

by info In reply to Re:

hi No I was not realy trying to creat 2 domains..my main domain is called abc.local.com windows 2000 server I got a new windows20003 server and during decpromo i names and addeed it as def.local.com someohow it created a sort of new domain called def...when I browse the network I see abc def and a few defualt computers in the workgroup group. these two computes don't replicate so they have two seperate AD's I might try to unpromote def to a stand alone and either try again or leave it as a member or stand alone server as I really don't nee and want two seperate domains

Back to Networks Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)