General discussion

Answer my VPN Question and receive 1500

By sselinger ·
My question is in the technology section of the forms. IT is titled "VPN implimentation help needed"

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by jcparkerconsulting In reply to Answer my VPN Question an ...

To answer your questions:

1. You should talk to your client about an upgrade for the Novell Software. The Small Business Suite is now at 5.1 and offers some advantages.

2. With the proposed changes (Most of Canada should have DSL connectivityby 2001) I would sugest a less expensive solution such as the Netopia Router which can be configured with analog, ISDN, DSL, or T1 at a retail price of about $500 US. This also offers 8 port hub and NAT (Network Address Translation) in the router.
3. Yes if the Novell Server is running BoarderManager it is a very good firewall. It is comparable with CheckPoint or Viper on the NT side. A VPN solution is available for use with the BorderManager product which includes the Connection software for dial up internet access.

4. Cisco also offers Router/Firewall/VPN solution with the Cisco PIX firewall and has all of the connections offered above. This solution is also less than the Nortel Solution proposed. And is upgradeable.

5. Purchasing the Small Busi

Collapse -

by sselinger In reply to Answer my VPN Question an ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by jcparkerconsulting In reply to Answer my VPN Question an ...

5. Upgrading the Software. Upgrades are available from 4.11 to Small Business 5.1. This leverages the existing assits and provides a more stable platform as well as aditional tools. Check out Novells web site for a complete description.

I wishyou success on your project, I would propose the first router option (Netopia) simply due to the growth in communications technology being experienced in NA currently. I have several clients where I live who have the same delima as we will not get DSL until Q1 of 2001 and this solution has worked out well for most.

You are welcome to my answer for the single point offered.

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Desktop Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)