Desktop

Our forums are currently in maintenance mode and the ability to post is disabled. We will be back up and running as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience!

Question

Any way to use M.2 SSD on an Asus board Q170M2?

By dianoban99 ·
My PC: Acer aspire T2-715

Previous Scinario:
Three seconds after power on, boot freezes at "acer" logo.

Solution:
Replaced the Acer motherboard with a compatible new Asus Q170M2.

A repair shop did the job. The same Acer board was unavailable, so replaced it with a Q170M2.

Q170M2 does not accept M.2 SSD. Many tools & apps suitable for my work are on my original M.2 SSD and it is great pain to re-install & re-adjust them.

I want to use my original M.2 SSD on the Q170M2.

Is there any way to use an M.2 SSD on SATA board Q170M2, please?

Thank you.
Diano
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

So you want some M.2 to SSD adapter?

by rproffitt Moderator In reply to Any way to use M.2 SSD on ...
Collapse -

To rproffitt Moderator

by dianoban99 In reply to So you want some M.2 to S ...

Thank you.
Very good but really costing. Would cost me 40~50 USDollars by the time it sets in my PC.
Any other ways, please?

Collapse -

Sorry no.

by rproffitt Moderator In reply to To rproffitt Moderator

But you could shop around for a lower priced adapter. I don't spend time hunting down deals so sorry about that but my reply is to see if this it is a possible fix. I take it that it is so you can now see if you can find a better deal.

Remember I didn't research your new motherboard. I accept what you write as fact.

Collapse -

To rproffitt Moderator

by dianoban99 In reply to Sorry no.

No need of any adapter now. The motherboard Asus Q170M2 is uninstalled by the repair shop & my PC reverted. Now I am back to the original issue, that is, freezes at the beginning of booting.

Collapse -

Sharing what we do at the shop.

When we see a PC that freezes at boot and we suspect a blown OS we swap in a blank drive, do a quick install of the OS and see if it's fine. Better than 99% of the time that fixes the PC.

Yes, you will encounter some owner that had tools and such that they forgot to backup the install and activation keys but repairing a blown Windows is never a sure thing.

What did we tell clients to do next? Call and pay Microsoft to work on repairing Windows. Also, we only lose what we don't backup. No backups = usually no way to recover.

Collapse -

To rproffitt Moderator

by dianoban99 In reply to Sharing what we do at the ...

"swap in a blank drive, do a quick install of the OS and see if it's fine."
Does this have to use a blank drive?
How about using an SSD of the same make & same model & same OS installed on it, and from a PC of the same brand & same model which I bought at the same time ? What does it tell if I take the SSD from that PC and install it on this PC {the PC stuck at booting} & run it? Will it run? Boot? Or show any signal or message?

Collapse -

After decades in the shops.

You learn what to try. You can try what you wrote and see what happens.

Collapse -

To rproffitt Moderator

by dianoban99 In reply to After decades in the shop ...

Thank you.

The original concern of this post was to find a way, a converter or adapter, to use my SSD on the new motherboard Asus Q170M2. This is not the concern anymore. The repair shop uninstallled that Q170M2 & reverted my PC. The Q170M2 was a remodeled one & started showing troubles after using it for a few days.

Collapse -

use M.2 SSD on an Asus Q170M2 Board

by marketing1635902562 In reply to Any way to use M.2 SSD on ...

No need for adopter as this board has 1 slot for M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (both SATA & PCIE mode)