Desktop

Question

Asus Prime Z490M-Plus motherboard - no graphics.

By richardvwilliams345 ·
Tags: Hardware
I have an Asus Prime Z490M-Plus motherboard with 2 x 16GB Kingston 2666 RAM. I have to use an additional graphics card as there is no output from the onboard DVI-D or HDMI sockets. I have looked in the BIOS (latest version installed) and I cannot find any settings for enabling/disabling the onboard graphics. The only Display Adapter shown in Windows' Device Manager is the additional graphics card. Is it likely that the onboard graphics has failed or is there something else happening?
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Have you checked ?

by birdmantd Moderator In reply to Asus Prime Z490M-Plus mot ...

.....with the motherboard manufacturer's internet site for troubleshooting tips ??? How old is the motherboard ? If it is too old, it might not support HDMI or DVI-D. What version of Windows are you running ?

Collapse -

Asus Prime Z490M-Plus motherboard ...

by richardvwilliams345 In reply to Have you checked ?

Motherboard bought in 2020 so it is recent. The blurb for it definitely says DVI-D and HDMI. It is using Intel 10th generation CPU and running Windows11.

Collapse -

Which CPU was used?

by rproffitt Moderator In reply to Asus Prime Z490M-Plus mot ...

Not all Intel CPUs have the required onboard graphics system.

Collapse -

I agree

by birdmantd Moderator In reply to Which CPU was used?

I think rproffitt hit it on the head. Not all CPU's have integrated graphics.

Collapse -

PS. My "new" desktop has this nice CPU.

by rproffitt Moderator In reply to I agree

It's the i7-10700f at
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/199318/intel-core-i710700f-processor-16m-cache-up-to-4-80-ghz/specifications.html

The motherboard it's on has a non-operational HDMI port because this CPU did not have the onboard graphics option. ?

Collapse -

Asus Prime Z490M-Plus ...

by richardvwilliams345 In reply to PS. My "new" desktop has ...

I have a Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-10100F CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz CPU. Which section of the spec should I check to see if it supports onboard graphics?

Collapse -

It's not so much the section to check.

by rproffitt Moderator In reply to Asus Prime Z490M-Plus ...

It's the lack of the graphics section at https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/203473/intel-core-i3-10100f-processor-6m-cache-up-to-4-30-ghz.html

This version does not have the required Intel graphics to enable the motherboard video ports.

Collapse -

Asus Prime Z490M--Plus no graphics - solved

by richardvwilliams345 In reply to It's not so much the sect ...

Thank you to everyone who suggested I check the CPU specification. I now understand that my Core i3 does not have graphics support and that's why the sockets on the motherboard don't produce any output. I must have chosen the processor on the basis of price not realizing that the final 'f' in the product name meant 'no graphics'. I've been in IT for over 50 years but that's the first time I've encountered this.
Once again, thanks to all who pointed me in the right direction.

Collapse -

Thanks for the update

Glad you were able to figure out what the problem was. I certainly wasn't the first reply to speculate on the problem, but I was only trying to point you in the right direction and backup my fellow mod who did.