General discussion

Backup SBS 2003 via Internet

By shawnj985 ·
I have a ms small business server 2003 that I would like to backup via the Internet once a week to another server. This is a small business and funds are low for this project. What options are available to me.

The amount of data to back up is about 300MB if I was to backup weekly using this method.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Exposed Server

by BFilmFan In reply to Backup SBS 2003 via Inter ...

Unless you are going to implement a secure VPN solution, DAT tape drives are cheap.

Collapse -

secured FTP connection.

by Jonny Memonic In reply to Exposed Server

You could try and have an FTP connection using a different port number and secure connection.

Collapse -

Why Internet

by faradhi In reply to Backup SBS 2003 via Inter ...

I hate the idea of backing up over the internet to another server. Especially if I do not control the server.
Aside from the risk of interception during transmission, there is the risk that a disreputable company will hold your data hostage when it is most needed.
I suggest anything else. A cheap tape drive, a removable hard drive, even a CD burner would be preferable. If you want to store your data off-site cheaply, a safety deposit box would suffice.

Collapse -

Backup over internet...

by NotSoChiGuy In reply to Backup SBS 2003 via Inter ...

One way to go would be to perform the backup locally (to a BKF or whatever other manner of file you will be storing it as). Then, use some combination of PGP and FTP to transfer the file over to the other server.

Some of the disadvantages of doing this would be extra processing and storage requirements (though, 300MB really isn't that much). Some of the gains would be redundancy (you'd in essence have two copies from which to attempt a restore) and a little more security (you'd be the ones holding the encryption keys, after all).

We use WS_FTP Pro here to do something similar (data transfer to vendor over the net). So far, it has worked pretty well.

Collapse -

rsync

by davew In reply to Backup SBS 2003 via Inter ...

You can buy chep offsite backup space from www.gnax.com and use rsync to backup your sbs server to it, I suggest rsync because it only backs up the changes which will save you bandwidth and time.

If you elect to use rsync you will need to install cygwin on your sbs server.
http://www.gaztronics.net/rsync.php

An alternative is a product called unison but you will need shell access linux box to get it going.
http://www.cis.upenn.edu/%7Ebcpierce/unison/

Back to Networks Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)