General discussion

Blank screen on a Compaq Presario 5002

By tvaughn ·
I have a Compaq Presario 5002. After turn on I get nothing but a blank monitor, with no beeps.
I pulled everything but the video and memory and still got a blank screen. While I was trying to use the restore cd I noticed that the cd's wouldn't open. I unpluged the ribbon on both and got them to open up and after reinstalling the ribbon trying them, they won't function.
What do I do next or how do I attack this problem?
The harddrive doesn't sound like it's spinning up either.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Ann777 In reply to Blank screen on a Compaq ...

Did you open the drive with a paperclip (manually) or did the drive get any power?

First thing to check... when you power on the system, do you get any power lights whatsoever? Is the fan in the power supply turning/blowing air? -- If not, then at minimum, your power supply is dead. If yes, then...

Try another monitor on this computer or try your monitor on another computer. A blank screen could be a bad monitor, video card, or systemboard. If the monitor works on another computer, then your monitor should work on this one.

What OS are you using? Can you boot to a boot disk? If your hdd (harddrive) is crashed, then you may see a blinking cursor in the upper left corner of your screen, but you should get video results from booting to a bootdisk.

First check power, then video, then at least you should be able to see what the system is doing.

Collapse -

by tvaughn In reply to Blank screen on a Compaq ...

I have tried the monitor and the video card. All the fans are functioning properly. The system is running Millienium. I tried a Win98 Bootdisk but got nothing the floppy didn't seem to be reading either.

Collapse -

by tvaughn In reply to Blank screen on a Compaq ...

Point value changed by question poster.

Collapse -

by dragononedon In reply to Blank screen on a Compaq ...

If your screen is blank and you're not getting any beeps, no screen action your motherboard and or CPU is burned out. Also look at your memory sticks; if there are any burn marks on the gold sections (you may need to use a magnify glass) your memory is shot. Ribbons may also be damaged. Try to remember if there was a smell of burnt metal and plastic when your machine quite.

Back to Desktop Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)