General discussion

Cisco 3600

By Fvillasenor ·
I have a cisco 3600 router that I attempted to recover the password via cisco's web site password recovery instructions.up on boot up I can no longer tel net into the router.The screen only shows what looks like scrambled symbols.Any suggestions? DoI need to reload the IOS?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Cisco 3600

by stolson In reply to Cisco 3600

Could be a few things ...

Connect to the router via the console cable. Is the info still garbled? If so, reboot the router and watch the boot process. Does it fail? Does it come up garbled? If it comes up garbled at boot, you need to reinstall the IOS.

If you need to recover the password, it depends on your router model. You can go to Cisco's site to get the procedures for your specific router. Basically, you have to change your configuration register so when you reboot, the router ignores your startup config (0x2142). Once you do that, copy your startup config into your running config, check it with a "show running", then change your passwords, write to your startup config, change the configuration register
back (0x2102), then reboot and your good to go. Hopefully you backed up your startup config. This is always good practice in case a situation arises where the router outright fails, so if
you're not doing it, now might be a good time to start.

Let us know how it goes.

Steve Olson

Collapse -

Cisco 3600

by Fvillasenor In reply to Cisco 3600

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Cisco 3600

by Fvillasenor In reply to Cisco 3600

Point value changed by question poster.

Collapse -

Cisco 3600