General discussion

Dell 4100s keep losing connection

By smallugly ·
I'm having problems with all 5 Dell Dimension 4100s in the office right now. Basically, these machines keep getting dropped from the network. The severity varies from machine to machine. The best example, though, is my Communications Mgr's system. Out of the blue, he will just seem to lose all connectivity. He loses access to all drives and can't ping anything on the network. I had Intel Pro 100/B nics in all of these systems. All are running Win98 SE. Network environment is mixed Novell/2000. I've swapped out nics more than a few times with different brands with no success. I just swapped in Intel's Pro 100 S server adapter into my Com Mgr's machine and it seems to have lessened the problem, a little. The cabling tests out ok.So why problems only with the 4100s?

Hopefully, somebody here can help out.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Ann777 In reply to Dell 4100s keep losing co ...

Make sure that Power management is disabled in the BIOS for all networked computers. If the computer sits idle for a certain period of time, hibernation or power-saving features might kick in. Some NICs also have this feature. Disable power-saving modes.

Collapse -

by smallugly In reply to Dell 4100s keep losing co ...

Power management is already disabled. The problem does not appear after periods of inactivity, it happens randomly while the user is working.

Collapse -

by dana803 In reply to Dell 4100s keep losing co ...

I have Dell GX240s and 150s that do the same thing. I have solved the problem on several of them so far just by downloading and installing the newest network adapter from Dell for that computer model. I've also updated the bios on a couple of them, too. Even though the computers are pretty new, I was still surprised to see that the drivers I downloaded are even newer yet......

Collapse -

by smallugly In reply to Dell 4100s keep losing co ...

Flashed bios on all systems, didn't seem to help...

I've got one 4100 user out today who runs a basic applications config. Perhaps the problem lies in the original image blasted onto these systems. I'm going to install from scratch on one of the 4100s then roll that image out to everybody else. Wish me luck. I'm still open to any answers though!

Back to Desktop Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)