Question

• Creator
    Topic

DHCP not working on SBS 2003

by kurt.foster ·

I have had DHCP working on my SBS server without any issues for about 2 months since the last net work changes. I came back after the christmas break and DHCP is no longer working. There are no errors in the DHCP logs except for repeated DNS Update Failed messages for the same IP address. I tried everything I could think of and resorted to removing and recreating the DHCP scope. Unfortunatley still no change. I am really confused, particularly to the lack of error massages.

All Answers

• Author
    Replies

Clarifications

by kurt.foster ·

In reply to DHCP not working on SBS 2003

Clarifications

DHCP

by p.j.hutchison ·

Questions:
      1. Has the IP address of the server changed?
      2. Try running NSLookup tool and see if you can resolve hostnames and IP addresses (if reverse lookup zone set up).
      3. Has the network itself changed. Router replaced?
      4. Has the DHCP server been Authorized?

Re: DHCP not working on SBS 2003

by techrep ·

Hi there. I too have had the same issue with a client site, the timing of which loosely corresponds with the time of your post. A UDP port scan from client machines confirms that UDP ports 67 & 68 are open on the SBS 2003 server.Running dhcpexplorer from the server itself, I am able to retrieve dhcp information however, running it from a client machine yeilds no response. The dhcp log does not acknowledge and client requests but does include 10 ip addresses that have been assigned to RRAS (hosted on the same server). This server also hosts ISA 2004 and I have confirmed that the relevant firewall policy entries exist for dhcp request/response.

Viewing 2 reply threads