General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Download from as/400 to Excel to Access

by jschaiman ·

Hello We have downloaded data from our AS/400 which is really runnung as an A-36, to excel and then imported it to access. Everything almost works ok. All the access forms can be used and the simple querys run. But the queries with more than 2 or 3selections don’t work for most people. The message returned is that it can’t find the data for the parameter input. However some people have no problem. These are the people who have AS/400 client access installed but not necessarily running. But even some of these folks get the error message. Any hints? you can call at 212 209 6032 and ask for me my name is Jed and I run the department.

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

by jschaiman ·

In reply to Download from as/400 to Excel to Access

Point value changed by question poster.

by mslizny ·

I believe that the data is not being cleaned up when it is downloaded from the AS/400. For the simple queries Access manages, but the more complex ones have problems with the quality of the data.

Are your users each downloading from the AS/400 on their own, or is the data downloaded regularly and put in some network location? I am guessing from your information that it is possible that users are downloading the data on the fly and some users are more knowlegeable than others and so the process goes more correctly and smoothly for them. I have worked with many data conversion projects–are you using macros in Excel and Access ro bring the data down from the AS/400? Often users skip some steps and that results in problems. Have you verified the problem on each computer or are you relying on user descriptions of the problems?

by highlander718 ·

Did you check the Excel files for the consistency of data ? Are all the fields properly filled ? Do you have any error logs after the download ?
      But enough questions, the most straight forward thing is to download from the AS/400 to a text file notExcel or any other “sofisticated” softwares as there could be some conflicts between the data formatting. Check the text file first and then you can link that to Access (don’t even have to import).

by tracyp ·

Are you using the file transfer utility that comes with Client Access? Are you using IBM query to get the data and not the data options section in the data transfer page. If so, don’t use the data option, use a query to make the file. When you download make sure file…properties..Convert CCSID 65535 is checked. Also in the file you download, under details try saving as file type CSV. You may be able to go directly to Access and skip Excel. I think the key may be the convert CCSID.

by jschaiman ·

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Viewing 4 reply threads