General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Error code 00161&00163

by samuelclifton ·

I have a Ibm TP380Z. The cmos battery has been changed now I get these codes at start-up. I have tried using F1 at star-up but get the same results. Is there anything else I can try. The shop that changed my battery can’t help

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Error code 00161&00163

by maxwell edison ·

In reply to Error code 00161&00163

A ThinkPad has three user defined levels of password protection: Power On Password, Hard Disk Password, Supervisor Password. Your error description indicates that your ThinkPad has an unknown Supervisor password.

Error code 161 indicates a dead backup battery.

Error code 163 indicates the system’s date and time is not set – clock is not updated.

The date and time settings are located in the CMOS memory: error 161 and 163 appear because the systems CMOS memory was cleared (CMOS memory is cleared by removing the backup battery or by shorting Power On password pins/pads).

A ThinkPad Power On password also resides in the CMOS memory therefore, if the error codes appear – the CMOS memory was cleared and a possible Power On passwordwas removed.

The above mentioned error codes can be easily resolved by resetting the BIOS settings. However, in order to access the BIOS settings (EZSetup), the Supervisor password must be entered. Although leaving the password field blank and simply pressing enter appears to bypass the Supervisor password prompt, the unit proceeds to the green error page with a manual icon because the Supervisor password is incorrect. If the Supervisor password was entered correctly, after selecting OK at the first green error page, the system would automatically access Easy Setup and immediately prompt the user to change the date and time.

A ThinkPad Supervisor password cannot be removed by Power On password removal techniques (clearing the CMOS memory).

Under normal circumstances, a Supervisor password will automatically activate the Hard Disk password. Proprietary hardware and software was developed that is capable of removing unknown ThinkPad Supervisor and Notebook hard disk passwords. Visit the web site listed below for details.

Viewing 0 reply threads